1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Hutan and 17 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Tom Kindlon

sebaaa, ScottTriGuy, Andy and 2 others like this.
  5. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Columbia Magazine - How COVID-19 Could Reveal the Secrets of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Hornig is now undertaking several studies that aim to identify risk factors for ME/CFS among COVID-19 patients and to lay the groundwork for new prevention and treatment strategies. In collaboration with scientists at the LA-based research and advocacy organization Solve ME, for example, she is planning to follow large numbers of people who have recovered from COVID-19 to find out how many develop the syndrome and, hopefully, why.

“One of the interesting things we’ve seen so far is that some COVID-19 patients who initially seem to be on the path to developing ME/CFS actually start to feel better after four or five months,” she says. “We think that looking closely at these people and comparing them to others who eventually do get diagnosed with ME/CFS could yield valuable insights. Might there be something distinct about their immune systems that makes them more resilient? That could be the kind of discovery that opens up new possibilities for treatment.”

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://twitter.com/user/status/1299267407962406912

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

9. Tom Kindlon

10. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On other patient forums I belong to (not many) I am seeing post-Covid people join the POTS one but not the ME one.

Guessing that partly it is possible that they are not getting ME dx because they have not been sick for long enough? Regardless of this I would think that they would be a little curious of ME.

11. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am seeing comments on Twitter where people with Long Covid seem absolutely desperate to reject and avoid a diagnosis of CFS or ME or any other similar diagnosis. I think the issue is that propaganda has been telling people for many years that people with ME aren't seriously ill, they are just lazy. But the people with Long Covid know that they are really ill not like those people with ME. (sarcasm)

I have zero belief that Long Covid sufferers will get any real help in the long-term, they'll eventually end up being left to rot, just as people with ME have been unjustly dismissed by many for decades. And of course, a lot of people with Long Covid never got positive tests, so that will mean they are more likely to be gaslighted and dismissed because the assumption will be made that they are attention-seeking hypochondriacs.

Title : These women's coronavirus symptoms never went away. Their doctors' willingness to help did.
    Link : https://news.yahoo.com/gaslighted-dismissed-women-doctors-dont-191906843.html

And the British doctor's habit of turning everything into a mental illness is highlighted in neon lights in this article :

Title : 'Sheer fear': mental health impacts of Covid-19 come to fore
    Link : https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ental-health-impacts-of-covid-19-come-to-fore

12. rvallee

Yeah, probably just the arbitrary 6 months. Plus we all know that the 6 months thing doesn't mean people get diagnosed after it, it just means when the GP drops them off to fend for themselves in most cases.

ukxmrv, sebaaa, Mithriel and 4 others like this.
  13. rvallee

I never want to hear a physician whining against pseudoscience ever again. They are some of the worst peddlers out there, just very selective about only accepting one kind. Straight up astrology-level medieval nonsense.

They are training 3,000 practitioners for a need that does not exist all because they didn't want to spend a fraction of this on actually understanding the issue and preventing it in the first place. What a complete waste of human potential, compounded. They are not only wasting lives to this nonsense but wasting the entire system to prop up a stupid ideological death machine.

sebaaa, EzzieD, Amw66 and 6 others like this.
  14. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven’t been able to go through this entire thread, apologies if this has already been mentioned, but after reading so many articles and seeing so many news segments on this topic during COVID I’ve become really annoyed because not enough is being said that

There is no substantial difference between:

post-EBV syndrome
    post-Lyme syndrome
    post-SARS syndrome
    post-Giardia syndrome
    post-Ebola syndrome
    post-COVID syndrome
    post-<insert many different viruses or microbes> syndrome

they are all ME/CFS.

A significant percentage of people will get ME/CFS after many types of infection.

I know, there are some chronic symptoms specific to each initial infection, but the core, hallmark, most debilitating symptoms are the same, they are the hallmark symptoms of ME/CFS. In every single research paper or article I’ve read about the above post infectious syndromes, they describe the same overlapping core symptoms which are the hallmark symptoms of ME/CFS.

I believe the sooner the scientific community realizes this, instead of saying “chronic fatigue syndrome like”, the sooner we will get somewhere.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    Chezboo, MEMarge, Michelle and 16 others like this.
  15. leokitten

Regarding the thread title, what is the difference between ME and PVFS?

There is no difference.

ladycatlover and Ravn like this.
  16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think PVFS is used to include variations on post viral illness that is self limiting and usually recovered within a year or so and doesn't necessarily include PEM? Maybe. Not sure.

17. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or many of them think ME is chronic fatigue syndrome and that chronic fatigue syndrome is just fatigue / being tired all the time. The point being that ME is those tired people which is not like long-covid at all. This thinking can be directly attributed to the psych cabal and their extremely vague 'science'.

MEMarge, Michelle, Ravn and 13 others like this.
  18. rvallee

Time. That's it. It allows to nonsensically argue that PVFS is temporary, since it just gets a new name after an arbitrary threshold. No one has PVFS longer than 6 months. That's certainly true. They just call it something else afterward and tell the patients to get lost, unable to report harm, allowing to argue no evidence of harm.

Maybe there are distinctions, but that would take research and research on this topic is not allowed, allowing for the "mystery" to persist, actually arguing that it's too mysterious to research because the lack of research keeps it "mysterious". Good old dystopian nightmare.

Chezboo, Michelle, Ravn and 13 others like this.
  19. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not at all sure that I agree with these views about PVFS. I'm not sure what the first use was but the conference in 1978 attended by all the "ME" experts was said to be about PVFS. Behan referred to PVFS. The Jenkins/Mowbray book from 1991 was primarily called PVFS. The terms were interchangeable. The doubts about encephalitis were recognised. Acheson, the probable originator of the term ME, said in the Forward to the 1990 book that he preferred PVFS.

ladycatlover, Mithriel, Ravn and 8 others like this.
  20. leokitten

It’s insane to me that most in the scientific community, with full knowledge of how little we know about the immune system, cannot make this fairly simple mental leap:

There is a percentage who recover fairly quickly after the acute infectious illness.

There is a percentage who don’t recover and have ME/CFS + infectious-specific symptoms, are labeled post-infectious syndrome, and eventually recover up to a year or so after the infection.

There is a percentage who don’t ever recover, have ME/CFS + infectious-specific symptoms for a period of time, and have ME/CFS symptoms indefinitely.

If they can wrap their heads around people not recovering right away and having ME/CFS symptoms for up to a year but eventually recovering, how can they not wrap their heads around a percentage of people not ever recovering?

While I’ve made three groups for making this point, in reality it’s way more of a spectrum, but that fact makes the point even stronger.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.