1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Patient perceptions of post exertional malaise, 2018, Jason et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Tom Kindlon, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was surprised that there doesn't seem to be a thread on this paper given it discusses a few times the survey that was run here.

In this case, I found it difficult to know whether to put this in the biomedical or psychosocial research section. I didn't think it was a good fit for either.

Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323916016_Patient_perceptions_of_post_exertional_malaise [accessed Jul 25 2018].

Patient perceptions of post exertional malaise

L. A. Jason, S. L. McManimen, M. Sunnquist & C. S. Holtzman

To cite this article: L. A. Jason, S. L. McManimen, M. Sunnquist & C. S. Holtzman (2018) Patient perceptions of post exertional malaise, Fatigue: Biomedicine, Health & Behavior, 6:2, 92-105,

DOI: 10.1080/21641846.2018.1453265

Published online: 21 Mar 2018.

Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323916016_Patient_perceptions_of_post_exertional_malaise [accessed Jul 25 2018].

2. Tom Kindlon

3. Tom Kindlon

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Section that references our poll (reference 7), edited for readability.

5. Tom Kindlon

6. Tom Kindlon

7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have they not included the item of the CDC checklist that PACE used to assess post-exertional malaise?

"Feeling ill after exertion" (rated 'not at all present', 'present a little', 'present more often than not', 'present most of the time' or 'present all the time').

I was surprised at how some quite similar phrasing led to quite different percentages of patients voting like/dislike.

8. Melanie

Melanie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thread merged

Here are the results on the phrases portion that describes PEM posted by @Tom Kindlon via Twitter.

I think if number one said Prolonged worsening of symptoms more than 24 hours after exertion or physical activity he would have really nailed it. But who knows. Number 1 is pretty good.

If it is called Post-EXERTIONAL Malaise, then I think EXERTION should be in the description. Just my 2 cents. Maybe is should be Post-ACTIVITY Malaise or Post-ACTIVITY (Input best word here).

And 24 hours later (although it is 24-72 as I usually have the bulk of my symptoms come on 36 hours later) is helpful. When I read 24-72 hours later a few years ago, I finally understood why I could never understand what was happening to me. The truth is, I have some sort of weird energy SURGE during the first 24-36 hours. Although, that SURGE is a symptom it is also pretty immediate for me, not delayed and I never interpreted it as a symptom although the 2-day CPET test I believe is showing our biological symptoms are going wrong.

But still, excellent community input and very good results.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2018
  9. Melanie

I also think the responses by Judy Hamilton and Veronica Jones are vert good.

So, Prolonged worsening of symptoms more than 24 hours after exertion or physical, mental, stress, or social activity.

ladycatlover and MEMarge like this.
  10. Melanie

Qualitative code questions:

I don't think this came out as well. I did not Crash, I got worse. And it certainly wasn't Zero Energy and I didn't Feel sick. But I think people with differing severity are involved in this.

For many years, even now, it is more Exhaustion and Symptoms Worse. I was once working, and now I am disabled and these two terms still describe me.

11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ladycatlover, Inara and Melanie like this.
  12. Dolphin

On another study:

13. Dolphin

14. Dolphin

Interesting to see a criticism of the international consensus criteria in the last sentence.

15. Dolphin

ladycatlover, andypants and Inara like this.
  16. Dolphin

Discussion of the ME-ICC

Inara and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  17. Dolphin

Inara and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  18. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

andypants and Inara like this.
  19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

'new' article
    A Brief Questionnaire to Assess Post-Exertional Malaise
    Joseph Cotler, Carly Holtzman, Catherine Dudun and Leonard A. Jason *

Received: 17 August 2018 / Revised: 7 September 2018 / Accepted: 8 September 2018 / Published: 11 September 2018
    http://www.mdpi.com/2075-4418/8/3/66

20. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The more I think about this, the more I am thinking that whatever the effects of exertion are on pwME that produce what is currently called PEM, that they are cumulative which might help explain the differences in time it takes to 'show up' (depending on the severity of the person affected).

(haven't worded that very well, but I hope it makes sense(?))

JohnM, Inara, Amw66 and 9 others like this.