1. Read the 'News in Brief' post for w/c 16th Sept by clicking here, Guest.
    Dismiss Notice

Noise cancelling headphones! Oh Joy!

Discussion in 'Hypersensitivity and Intolerance Reactions' started by Unable, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Squeezy

Squeezy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just a year? At that price? :jawdrop:

2. Squeezy

Squeezy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm enormously suspicious of Amazon reviews these days. So many are fake.
    I go by Which, for choice.

They rate the Sony WH-1000XM3 their Best Buy with a score of 91% across their tests. They say they're the best noise cancelling headphones they've ever tested. Pricey of course. £272

Screenshot_20190822-105741.png

Simbindi and Wonko like this.
  3. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I read the Boss ear pads wear out (not the actual headphones) but these can be replaced. I believe they are easy to find on Ebay.

4. Unable

Unable Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have those Sony ones. And yes they are pricey, but they are quite amazing I think!

Although mine do have buttons on the left ear pad. One to turn them on/off and another that switches between noise cancelling and ambient sound.

I used them flying recently, and they were brilliant. I was much less exhausted by the journey I thought. And then my son was strimming in the garden recently, WHAT a racket! So I put them on and listened to an audiobook for a while, and it was so peaceful. :)

Trish and Wonko like this.
  5. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A piece of advice: if you're considering noise cancelling headphones, make sure you try them first before committing to see if you can tolerate them.

Turns out they don't work for me. I can still hear most sounds with them on, albeit at a much lower volume. Which doesn't help much because I don't have too much of a problem with loud noises as such, within limits, but I do have a problem with certain specific frequencies that cut right through my brain, loud or not so loud. And those frequencies still get through the noise cancelling.

Worse, within seconds(!) of putting on the headphones I was feeling very queasy and even though I took the headphones off after 2 minutes of increasing nausea, that nausea lasted for hours. I repeated the experiment the next day for 10 seconds only, same result: hours of nausea. No intention of trying again :sick:
    For the duration of my 2-minute experiment my tinnitus was significantly reduced - but instantly bounced back louder than ever as soon as I took off the headphones, then slowly settled back to normal.

Annamaria, Trish and Wonko like this.