1. Guest, click here and read the 'News in Brief' post for w/c 8th July.
    Dismiss Notice

Noise cancelling headphones! Oh Joy!

Discussion in 'Hypersensitivity and Intolerance Reactions' started by Unable, Jul 11, 2019 at 8:52 AM.

1. Unable

Unable Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have just discovered the bliss offered by noise cancelling headphones!!

I had thought they would only be good for the really severe, and so had never considered them for myself.

However I had started using my ear buds (the ones I use for Audio books) in busy places, and whilst good at muting ambient noise they have limited effect.

Then, at my husband’s suggestion, I tried a set of noise cancelling headphones. We were in a busy shopping area at the time, and when I put the demo headset on, it was like being wrapped in bliss! Incredible! I could still hear stuff, but it was all taken down to soft noise that was much less jarring. I think it was less painful too, although I didn’t realise that so much noise felt “sore” til it was softened by the headphones!

I did know that noise is one thing that can seriously affect my functioning. In a noisy environment my well-being can rapidly plummet, and I can loose my co-ordination, and my speech goes wonky. PEM is then worse if I get to this stage.

Anyway my husband said the look on my face when the noise cancelling was turned on convinced him I needed them! He bought them for me then and there! <3

WOW!

Back home, I really didn’t realise how LOUD our kitchen was!! I’d have said our home was quiet, but it’s not - fridge, clock, boiler and who knows what all creates a constant din.

I won’t wear these all the time, but there are times when I can tolerate very little noise (& light) and for those moments these will be awesome.

They are also fantastic when I’m a passenger in the car. All the road noise is smoothed away.

Anyway, just thought I’d mention here, as although there is awareness of their usefulness for people severely affected by ME, they are also fantastic to help the more moderately affected cope for longer in a busy environment.

:)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 9:01 AM
    Esther12, Littleoleme, Kitty and 28 others like this.
  2. ringding

ringding Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Unable sounds like an excellent purchase! What sort did you get, there are so many to choose from these days (styles as well as different makes)?

Unable, MSEsperanza, Gecko and 7 others like this.
  3. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They are fantastic for plane travel. When I flew from Texas to Toronto, a guy in front of me talked NON-STOP to the poor woman beside him the entire time. (She did not get in a word edgewise.) Had I not had the headphones, I would have stabbed him with my fork.

Kitty, Unable, MSEsperanza and 8 others like this.
  4. ringding

ringding Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The only time I've ever used any was on a flight to the USA for work, >10yrs ago. We flew business class and they provided Bose noise cancelling cans. I didn't listen to music, just put them on and turned them on. The difference was phenomenal. Being rather naïve I was hoping we'd get to keep them at the end of the flight! If only...

Kitty, Unable, MSEsperanza and 5 others like this.
  5. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I use ear plugs AND Bose noise canceling headphone all of the time, except when I'm out driving. At stores, I just use ear plugs.

I have to use both because I have tinnitus as well as noise sensitivity.

And despite these measures, noises still bother me. I suppose my brain interprets apartment and street noise as threats.

I dropped the Bose headphone set and it broke except for the noise cancellation function. I use rechargeable batteries (lithium) for them except for use on airplanes, if and when I ever go.

Kitty, Unable, MSEsperanza and 5 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

What do the noise cancelling earphones do to tinnitus?

7. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mute it a little, perhaps lower the high-pitch a little. It's the gestalt of the tinnitus plus ambient noise that both the ear plugs and noise cancelers work on. Don't know how others w/tinnitus would say.

8. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They are amazing, I had to buy some as I was almost suicidal when neighbour below started blasting music every day a few years ago.

Only problem is mine hurt my ears after 20 mins so I have to take them off regularly.

The blasting music still shakes my bedroom floor from beneath but sound wise, I can just barely hear it now.

Luckily the music is no more than an hour a day these days.

Kitty, Annamaria, Unable and 4 others like this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's always a bit of white/pink noise when noise cancelling is on so it probably just drowns it out a bit. I recently bought an air purifier and the background noise it generates also helps on that. When the tinnitus is low anyway. Mine is barely perceptible unless the room is wery, wery quiet.

I recently bought a really good Bose pair and although I haven't tested them in public yet, the result is pretty impressive. I have the A/C right next to my bedroom window and when noise cancelling is on it cuts about 90% of the noise.

Kitty, Annamaria, Mariaba and 5 others like this.
  10. Unable

Unable Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ll need to check the model, but they are Sony & more expensive than I would have paid, but they are good. (Edit - my husband bought them for me. <3 )

11. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have wanted to try this, but I am concerned the headphones would grip my head, causing pain (normal headphones do). So I have waited until it seemed realistic to try some in a store.

Do other people have this head pain problem and what do they do about it re: headphones?

Ear buds bother me, too. If I am laying down, I can use that soft headband style (otherwise the little sound piece isn't close enough to the ear).