1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Zealand: Dr Vallings' view on the personality type of people with ME

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Hutan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:D I laughed darkly at that @Lidia

So rough to have it at 5, & to be the parent of a 5yr old sufferer :(

2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. Context matters.

3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have argued elsewhere that mild depression and anxiety in someone with ME is probably normal, and in both cases it can be adaptive and assist the person. For example, if you are anxious and realise that something might cause a crash, such as going to a big event, then you might choose to stay home. Crash averted.

4. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also, they can be actual symptoms of the illness itself.

Brain inflammation, inflamed gut or inflammation in general, will often do things to your mood as well.

edit: spelling :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  5. Lidia

Lidia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @JemPD, she is 12 now and has almost completely recovered/remission with low-dose cortisone.

6. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe it means that this whole personality type stuff is bunk. :D

7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think your answer is on the polite side. :laugh:

8. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

I'd like to add one more here:

d. Situational factors

People who make it to Dr. Vallings clinic probably went to an enormous amount of trouble to get there (many travel long distances, and the cost of the consult is high). They are there because things are really bad, and they have tried everything else and failed. When they arrive at the clinic, this is their last hope. They're feeling utterly desperate for reassurance and above all, answers. They're worried about their future, their employability, their careers, their relationships. All this stuff pours out at the session, making them look pretty intense.

9. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

I love this paper, @strategist! It goes beyond clinical trials and talks about how clinicians can acquire the firm conviction that what they are doing is working, even when its not. A complex mix of things, including naive realism, desire to see onesself as useful, overconfidence (which is trained into them, and then further enhanced by repetition). Then add to that the very unreliable sources of feedback they rely on - which is people displaying polite thanks and then just not coming back!

10. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reminds me of the "some people are left-brained and some people are right-brained" baloney that was rampant not long ago (still persists unfortunately). The concept has since been disproven.

11. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Yea, it has! There was a hilarious bestselling book in 1990s "drawing with the right side of your brain" that recommended you should turn a picture of a face upside down to draw it. Its true we engage a lot of right hemisphere when processing or drawing faces. But turning a face upside down actually does the very opposite - it increases the participation in the left hemisphere! it was all so bunk.

12. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I saw Dr Vallings 10 months after my severe ME onset. I was so ill I could barely sit in the chair and talk to her. I handed a list of my symptoms over to her. It had taken me a hour to get to her and I burst into tears while with her. I was so so ill. She diagnosed me with ME and I was so grateful to her. The added stress of seeing GP's who were flummoxed as to what was wrong with me. My GP's knew I was very sick and did a lot of testing but I don't think they would have given me a diagnosis of ME.

After seeing Dr Vallings I was relieved to see the words "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" written in very large letters across the page of my GP medical notes. (I would have preferred ME!).

I often think back to my doctor visits before I got ME and how relaxed I were at appointments. When you get an illness where there is no treatment and no understanding of what is causing it and the symptoms are severe and frightening, it creates a lot of anxiety.

13. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Personality types turn up in the most unexpected places, in our local farming paper for example.
    In summary the study reported on showed that curiosity about a new object is more likely to occur if it is directly preceded by some nice food than by standing out in the rain. Not only are we talking about the bleeding obvious here, we're talking goats! Oh, and goats with a bolder personality are more likely to be curious. Not at all clear how they tested for bold goat personality but facial expressions were involved, I guess questionnaires didn't work so well...
    animal moods.png

http://digital.southernrurallife.co.nz/olive/ode/srl_daily/

14. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

In the spirit of goat personality assessments from facial expressions...

For what's worth (and it's main worth may well be in showing that you can find a dodgy study to support any theory :)), news of
    an experiment titled, "An Examination of Adult Women's Sleep Quality and Sleep Routines in Relation to Pet Ownership and Bedsharing," has just come out. It studied 962 American women to see how pet ownership impacted their sleep. Fifty-five percent of the woman participating in the study let at least one of their dogs sleep in their bed, 31 percent of the women shared their bed with a cat.

The research is reported as showing that while cats and human partners were "disruptive," dogs were peaceful bed companions. So those dogs aren't sounding very excitable or very light sleepers to me.

15. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That would maybe help with the drawing, but for the reason that you would have to concentrate on drawing what is actually there, and not what you think is there. (shapes, shades, etc) It would apply to drawing anything. :facepalm:

Ravn, ladycatlover, Woolie and 3 others like this.
  16. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fascinating that there are such things as non bold goats! I thought their personalities ran from curious to head butt.

17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/TomKindlonMECFS/posts/1211871762294280

18. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Just seen the comment about PWME sleeping lightly like dogs, always alert. Is there evidence for this or is it some generalisation? My sleep issue is getting to sleep not light sleep. these days (and for most of my life)when I sleep I feel like I conk out pretty well and can even sleep through the postman knocking if I’m sleeping late. Unless she’s referring to tired but wired, but that’s not sleeping at all until it wears off.

I’ve been a light sleeper for a few years in the past and know what waking at the slightest thing is like, this was caused by regular disturbance by confused night time wandering parent with dementia who would come in to the wrong bedroom at around 2 am and switch the light on and ask who I was.......after a few months of this.I would then even wake at this time when at my home in a different city. And any noise would wake me.

19. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who knows what she meant? If she does not validate her observations through scientific publications, her experience from seeing patients remains hear say. We now know patients deal with tremendous amount of neuroinfoammation. Depending on the state they’re on (rested, crashed, over-stimulated, stressed out etc) their sleep will reflect that state.

The very unfortunate aspect of discussing her views is that it certainly shades her career accomplishments deep gray. Patients deserve more than that.

20. large donner

large donner Guest

I think this is a classic case of, "all my facebook friends agree with me".