1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Investigation into the restoration of TRPM3 ion channel activity in post COVID-19 a potential pharmacotherapeutic target,Marshall-Gradisnik et al,2024

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by John Mac, Apr 10, 2024.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Full title: Investigation into the restoration of TRPM3 ion channel activity in post COVID-19 condition: a potential pharmacotherapeutic target

Recently, we reported that post COVID-19 condition patients also have Transient Receptor Potential Melastatin 3 (TRPM3) ion channel dysfunction, a potential biomarker reported in natural killer (NK) cells from Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) patients.

As there is no universal treatment for post COVID-19 condition, knowledge of ME/CFS may provide advances to investigate therapeutic targets. Naltrexone hydrochloride (NTX) has been demonstrated to be beneficial as a pharmacological intervention for ME/CFS patients and experimental investigations have shown NTX restored TRPM3 function in NK cells.

This research aimed to:
    i) validate impaired TRPM3 ion channel function in post COVID-19 condition patients compared with ME/CFS;
    ii) investigate NTX effects on TRPM3 ion channel activity in post COVID-19 condition patients.

Whole-cell patch-clamp was performed to characterize TRPM3 ion channel activity in freshly isolated NK cells of post COVID-19 condition (N = 9; 40.56 ± 11.26 years), ME/CFS (N = 9; 39.33 ± 9.80 years) and healthy controls (HC) (N = 9; 45.22 ± 9.67 years).

NTX effects were assessed on post COVID-19 condition (N = 9; 40.56 ± 11.26 years) and HC (N = 7; 45.43 ± 10.50 years) where NK cells were incubated for 24 hours in two protocols: treated with 200 µM NTX, or non-treated; TRPM3 channel function was assessed with patch-clamp protocol.

This investigation confirmed impaired TRPM3 ion channel function in NK cells from post COVID-19 condition and ME/CFS patients.

Importantly, PregS-induced TRPM3 currents were significantly restored in NTX-treated NK cells from post COVID-19 condition compared with HC.

Furthermore, the sensitivity of NK cells to ononetin was not significantly different between post COVID-19 condition and HC after treatment with NTX.

Our findings provide further evidence identifying similarities of TRPM3 ion channel dysfunction between ME/CFS and post COVID-19 condition patients.

This study also reports, for the first time, TRPM3 ion channel activity was restored in NK cells isolated from post COVID-19 condition patients after in vitro treatment with NTX.

The TRPM3 restoration consequently may re-establish TRPM3-dependent calcium (Ca 2+ ) influx. This investigation proposes NTX as a potential therapeutic intervention and TRPM3 as a treatment biomarker for post COVID-19 condition.

https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/immunology/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2024.1264702/abstract