Investigating the Human Intestinal DNA Virome and Predicting Disease-Associated Virus–Host Interactions in Severe ME/CFS, 2023, Hsieh et al.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Dec 8, 2023.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Investigating the Human Intestinal DNA Virome and Predicting Disease-Associated Virus–Host Interactions in Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome ME/CFS
    Hsieh, Shen-Yuan; Savva, George M.; Telatin, Andrea; Tiwari, Sumeet K.; Tariq, Mohammad A.; Newberry, Fiona; Seton, Katharine A.; Booth, Catherine; Bansal, Amolak S.; Wileman, Thomas; Adriaenssens, Evelien M.; Carding, Simon R.

Understanding how the human virome, and which of its constituents, contributes to health or disease states is reliant on obtaining comprehensive virome profiles. By combining DNA viromes from isolated virus-like particles (VLPs) and whole metagenomes from the same faecal sample of a small cohort of healthy individuals and patients with severe myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), we have obtained a more inclusive profile of the human intestinal DNA virome. Key features are the identification of a core virome comprising tailed phages of the class Caudoviricetes, and a greater diversity of DNA viruses including extracellular phages and integrated prophages.

Using an in silico approach, we predicted interactions between members of the Anaerotruncus genus and unique viruses present in ME/CFS microbiomes. This study therefore provides a framework and rationale for studies of larger cohorts of patients to further investigate disease-associated interactions between the intestinal virome and the bacteriome.

Link | PDF (International Journal of Molecular Sciences)

FMMM1, Grigor, Starlight and 5 others like this.