1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hair loss and changes to fingernails

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by Nathalie Wright, Aug 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Nathalie Wright

Nathalie Wright Established Member (Voting Rights)

I've seen this mentioned sometimes, but not often.

Does anyone else get this? In the last 4 months my hair has been falling out, it would look more noticeable but my hair was v v thick to start off with.

I know there are lots of reasons for hair loss - but ME seems like a likely culprit right?

Any tips?

2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I lost a significant amount of hair around onset, for a few months. Prior to then most people would probably have agreed I had far too much hair. There is no history of male pattern baldness in my family but I became a virtual monk in my early 20s.

3. Nathalie Wright

Did it grow back?

It feels a bit weird that this would happen 4+ years in but I guess my symptoms shift all the time...

dangermouse and ladycatlover like this.
  4. Wonko

Unfortunately not.

It may however simply be coincidence, I haven't noticed others commenting about hair loss due to ME

5. Nathalie Wright

Right. Man don’t wanna lose my hair as well, that would feel just spiteful of ME arghh

Yessica, Perrier, dangermouse and 5 others like this.
  6. Philipp

Philipp Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know if this is necessarily the same as straight up hair loss, but allegedly problems with thyroid hormones can lead to a lot of hair falling out. But the only case I know that might be related still has a nice amount of hair left after all and afaik got it under control with taking a fine-tuned amount of T4. It may explain the fluctuation and seemingly random onset (because these things are rarely static) if this fits your case, but like I said, there is a very decent chance these are entirely different topics.

7. Nathalie Wright

Will look into this, thanks. Have had it come up on blood tests before (but only borderline or was fine at next test I think.)

8. Nathalie Wright

(Irrelevant to this but have just been looking at my steps over last few years & I realised there’s a big decrease in winter.. time to find some winter sun maybe.)

dangermouse, ladycatlover and MEMarge like this.
  9. Wonko

It could be a perfectly reasonable objection to broken bones, if there is any ice on the ground I'm basically trapped here (unless of course you live somewhere that doesn't get covered in intractable ice in winter)

dangermouse and MEMarge like this.
  10. Nathalie Wright

I’m not with you sorry!

Edit: oh as in body is wary of slipping! [Brain fog] I used to live in such a place, but in the big city now.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  11. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had quite a lot of hair coming out a few years ago, but it seems to have grown back, and also greying seems to have slowed considerably (or perhaps it's just growing more slowly?). I henna my hair so it's not obvious.

I've had ME for over 20 years and am 65.

I'd urge caution over thyroid, as it does seem to vary over time, and removing it can be disastrous, apparently.

12. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting Natalie-as someone with out ME- but a stressed"Eric" carer " of 2 with it, I have/had extremely thick hair all my life but also noticed a significant loss in my daily brush about 2-3 moths ago.

It has never happened before and I am 68 now.
    I asked and was given both an iron test and thyroid test both problem with either which can induce this. Also, 3 months following a significant virus which I had over Christmas.
    Test results are not back yet.
    Or maybe it was the extreme winter weather?

13. Nathalie Wright

Hrm... it’s so difficult because there seem to be so many possible reasons for it! Hope you get some answers.

14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think I lose more hair during the summer - or do I just imagine I'm moulting like an animal losing its heavy winter fur? Just did a google search - apparently seasonal hair loss is a thing.
    https://www.wimpoleclinic.com/blog/summer-hair-loss-true-false/

One time in my life unrelated to ME when I did lose quite a lot of hair was during breastfeeding. My mother told me the same thing had happened to her. She advised raising my protein intake. I imagined it was helping. I have no scientific evidence for this observation and I didn't measure anything.

15. Nathalie Wright

Yep turns out humans moult too! Whatever’s going on for me is definitely a lot more than that though.

16. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My hair is much much thinner now, compared to before ME. My ponytail is about 1/3 or less of the thickness it used to be :(

Yessica, Perrier, dangermouse and 7 others like this.
  17. Nathalie Wright

:( can I ask at what stage this started?

dangermouse, ladycatlover and MEMarge like this.
  18. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I became ill with M.E at age 29 but did not lose hair until the age of 42. I lost so much I could have made a mini wig with it. I was tested for free T3 and it was below normal range so was put on thyroid meds for 8 months, it did not stop the hair loss though. The hair loss continued for 2 years and then abruptly stopped falling out. I don't know the reason but suspect it was hormonal related, possibly perimenopause. It's all grown back.

It could be so many reasons. Have you had your ferritin checked? Low iron stores can cause hair loss.

Yessica, Perrier, dangermouse and 5 others like this.
  19. Nathalie Wright

I know! I’m kinda resigned to the fact that I might not find the reason why, hopefully it will resolve at some point whatever the cause. I had it tested in the past but not since this. Got a gp appointment booked so will see what they recommend.

20. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't remember, sorry. Didn't happen suddenly, though.