1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

United Kingdom: News from Forward-ME Group

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Andy, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I notice that @Jonathan Edwards and @Andy are both signatories to the Forward-ME statement on spinal surgery. Are they members now?

Binkie4 and cfsandmore like this.
  2. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed. And the application by Paul Davis to extend an invitation to RiME (Campaigning for Research into Myalgic Encephalomyelitis) was rejected by the Countess of Mar.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    chrisb, Simbindi, cfsandmore and 2 others like this.
  3. Dx Revision Watch

Their names are listed under The 25% ME Group.

Edited to add:

On the new website, the "Associates" are listed only as:

http://forward-me.co.uk/linked-organisations-and-associates.html

Countess of Mar, Chairman
    Carol Monaghan (MP) Vice Chairman
    Dr Nigel Speight
    Dr William Weir
    Dr Nina Muirhead

cfsandmore and Invisible Woman like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think they are listed as individuals supporting the statement. It doesn't imply membership of Forward ME or anything else.

Binkie4, Hutan, Sarah94 and 3 others like this.
  5. Trish

Not one I've heard of.

Binkie4, Sarah94, cfsandmore and 2 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I'm not and I don't believe Jo is either.

Binkie4, Sarah94, cfsandmore and 4 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

For what it is worth, my experience of working with Margaret Mar in her role as part of the PPI Steering Group for DecodeME has been entirely positive.

Ariel, Hoopoe, Binkie4 and 6 others like this.
  8. Dx Revision Watch

RiME (Campaigning for Research into Myalgic Encephalomyelitis) is no longer active but was active during period at least 2004 to at least 2010.

cfsandmore and Invisible Woman like this.
  9. Dx Revision Watch

Their names are listed under The 25% ME Group.

cfsandmore likes this.
  10. Trish

Looking carefully at the way the names of individuals and organisations are laid out on the screenshot, it is clear that there is a gap between each listing, with usually the name of the individuals listed followed by their organisation. Andy and Jo's names are clearly separated by a gap from any organisation, and just happen to fall in the list after the 25% ME group that is represented by Tony Crouch.

[Edit: On the revised list their names are after MEResearch UK]

Binkie4, MEMarge, Sarah94 and 4 others like this.
  11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Do I need to actually answer this?

MEMarge and NelliePledge like this.
  12. Dx Revision Watch

That should not have appeared in the post (it was from an earlier discarded draft). I've now edited that line out.

But if not being listed as reps for The 25% ME Group (or affiliated to any of the other groups listed), why were no capacities or affiliations listed for Andy and Jo?

And were all signatories circulated a revised version to sign off on?

cfsandmore likes this.
  13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. InfiniteRubix

InfiniteRubix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I should emphasize that I certainly was not implying anything negative about Forward ME. Far from it.

It's only the principle of what this place is or is not that I was referring to. And what that implies.

Individuals are a separate concept.

Given the cross-overs with sufficient involvement in practice without site involvement by name, it all feels moot. And already in a positive place.

15. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not a member of Forward ME. I was involved in the statement because the matter was considered by Forward ME following requests from both myself and Andy, I believe.

I have been involved in some correspondence about the position of MEAction. Margaret Mar's decision appeared to be based on reasonable grounds.

Jennifer Brea indicated that her recent email about spine groups was not affiliated to MEAction. However, I have yet to see any statement from MEAction to indicate that it does not wish to be associated with the spine groups or with the dissemination on social media of material about spinal problems in the context of ME in general. I personally think that MEAction needs to make its position much clearer.

anniekim, Kitty, mango and 9 others like this.
  17. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If that be the strategy it seems strange to throw away the possibilities of tactical advantage offered by the apparent division within the ranks.

MEMarge likes this.
  18. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Given the way we've kept having politicians telling us that divisions amongst UK patient groups undermines progress, this seems like a bad move to me.

I feel sorry for the volunteers at ME Action UK is they're being excluded just because of their association with Brea, even after they signed up to that statement raising concerns about surgery.

I really don't see any benefit to removing their logo from that statement. If there's concern that ME Action is viewed as being associated with the promotion of surgery as a treatment for ME then surely having them sign up to a statement like that is useful for countering that?

Considering what Action for ME have done while being members, this seems particularly weird to me.

19. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I won't go in to details but the negotiations over this were considerably more complex. My understanding is that organisations agreed to all put this statement out themselves and as far as I know MEAction has failed to do so despite the statement being significantly watered down from what it might have been. The problem stemmed from a high profile member of MEAction. MEAction has not dissociated itself.

You are someone used to listening for political dog whistling, @Esther12, so I am a bit surprised that you do not see what has been going on here.

From my perspective the action of those still within Forward ME has been just the sort of unity from patient groups on a difficult issue that is needed to see their commitment to balanced information on ME. This shouldn't be seen in terms of politics, just agreeing that the only things that matter are the health interests of the patient community.

Ariel, TrixieStix, anniekim and 7 others like this.
  20. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What would the non-watered down statement have been?

FMMM1 and Sarah94 like this.