1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

First time in remission with ketogenic diet

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by leokitten, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sadly not doing dairy makes things a lot harder.

2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Made me laugh reading that avocados are so great because they contain
    ‘both healthy fats and nutrients’. :whistle:

3. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for that. I have wanted to try the keto diet but cannot yet as it is too much effort for me. Hopefully one day. Will keep the list in mind (I hope).

andypants likes this.
  4. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Depends why you avoid dairy? If ethical/ideological then yes indeed, especially if you avoid all animal products. If lactose intolerant or else casein reactive then there are options (eg ghee). Some people even find that what the animal is eating makes a difference.
    Not wanting to push dairy. Just wanting to help people know there may be more options (than immediately apparent).

andypants and Hutan like this.
  5. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For some reason dairy prompts skin reaction and a bit of gut discomfort.
    Mainly milk, cream , cheese.
    Did try ghee last year and seems to be a fise/ redponse thing

6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I can see that a ketogenic diet without dairy would be a bigger challenge.

Have you tried non-cow milks? Some people find that they can tolerate products from sheep or goat milk, even buffalo milk. Depending on where you are, availability might be a problem of course.

sb4, NelliePledge, andypants and 2 others like this.
  7. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Has anyone tried MCT Oil in coffee or any other food or cooking? Have there been any benefits in cognitive function or energy, or in any other way? Is it worth the money? I notice MCT Oil is expensive.

I tried using the forum search for MCT Oil but with both parts of the name being only three characters the search went splat.

andypants likes this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

What is MCT oil?

9. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan and Trish like this.
  10. Sasha

The other place allows you to do a Google search within the site, and there are quite a few references to MCT oil (not all of them especially useful).

11. Arnie Pye

MCT stands for "medium chain triglycerides". I think the commercial MCT Oils are all derived from coconuts. I've read a few times that MCT Oil is supposedly healthier and "better for you" than plain, ordinary coconut oil, and also very good for energy levels, brain health and cognitive function. It is also much more expensive than coconut oil.

I was really wondering whether this is true and/or whether it is hype.

I found this article from a site selling paleo diet plans (which I am not interested in) which extols the virtues of MCT Oil. I'm not happy about using this kind of link to inform my decisions though!

https://www.paleo-britain.co.uk/mct-oil-vs-coconut-oil-for-brain-health/

I get the same error from the other place as I get from here :

I found out I can search S4ME and the other place for "MCT Oil" by using a google site search. MCT Oil hasn't been mentioned on here before (at least in the publicly searchable bits of the site) but I found a few threads on the other place that mention it, so I'll read some of those.

12. Sasha

13. Arnie Pye

Sasha likes this.
  14. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. It does make you less hungry, so I have mostly used it as a way to stretch periods of IMF on days when I would get hungry early or was trying to expand the fasting window by replacing my usual meal with MCT coffee. However normal coconut oil, or butter, will do that as well.

Hutan and Arnie Pye like this.
  15. Seven

Seven Senior Member (Voting Rights)

OMG Mct oil has been a game changer. I think even if I ever stop keto I will use for Cfs. I get energy and head clear ( not brain fog difference, just smarter).
    I heard a user get worst on food sensitivity due to mct oil. And some plp get allergy like and tummy upsset in the general population.

Hutan, sb4, Trish and 2 others like this.
  16. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It gives me diarrhea

17. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just checking in with those here who started a ketogenic diet? It’s been a few months or so, how are things holding up?

Can you say now that it definitely improves symptoms (or not)? When you start eating carbs again and fall out of ketosis do your ME symptoms worsen? Have you measured your glucose, ketones, and GKI during times when you’ve symptoms were consistently better or worse and seen any correlation?

18. Kafka

Kafka Established Member (Voting Rights)

I would also like to hear any updates from anyone trying keto

Below is a link to my intro - with more info on my keto experience (and remission).
    In my case I'm not sure that it improved ME symptoms on it's own - but I experienced so many benefits for other health issues that I would continue on it even if it wasn't a piece of my remission.

https://www.s4me.info/threads/hello...th-me-and-my-remission-saga.6420/#post-116785

19. sb4

sb4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, I was keto for around 6-7 weeks maybe, including a stint of carnivore. It helped my heart pounding after eating (as this is triggered by carbs) but my symptoms where still similar otherwise including my gastroparesis which made it a bit more difficult.

I also started re messing around with methylation and this time had some small but significant success. This lead to me being able to tolerate carbs better so I have reintroduced 100-200g. Results are tentative however as sometimes I can eat carbs with minimal heart pounding and sometimes I have mild/moderate. I need to hammer down the details and find out why however before I would always get at least moderate pounding.

Kafka, Skycloud and andypants like this.
  20. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I'm still sticking with a keto diet with the occasional deviation. I think it does help; raising my 'activity threshold before PEM results'.

I haven't measured things for a while. I should be more scientific about trying to work out if it helps. I have lost a bit of weight, which is welcome.

Kafka, Daisybell, Skycloud and 5 others like this.