1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Esther Crawley - (what drives her) plus quotes

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Sly Saint, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

CBT anyone?

MEMarge and ladycatlover like this.
  2. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have to say that was my first thought too... Followed by GET. Cos if you can get better with CBT you'll be deconditioned and need to get back to full health as lets face it stuff like appendicitis is merely MUS. [/sarcasm]

Jan, MEMarge and Trish like this.
  3. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think its a way to avoid proper scrutiny from the ethics committee. I had assumed that phase 1 trials were effectively testing feasibility.

I did hear that Bristol Universities medical dept failed to get a 5 star rating and that Bristol has a habit of shutting non-five star rated departments. So I wonder if Crawley is well thought of because she is bringing in money and hence included (I assume she knows the right people on the MRC committees).

4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought you were going to ask how many psychologists it takes to change a light bulb.

The answer might be a bit subjective and more qualitative than quantitative.

5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"You may think that, but I couldn't possibly comment"

I think phase 1 studies tend to be done to make sure the treatment isn't terribly dangerous.

6. Sbag

Sbag Senior Member (Voting Rights)

might need a feasibility study to determine!

Allele and ladycatlover like this.
  7. Amw66

Did the lightbulbs have any issues during manufacture/ problematic delivery? Are there colour issues? Are they the right size..did they spend too long in storage without the chance of participating in serial or parallel switching? Too many questions before they come out of the box ....

8. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Non-operative treatment of appendicitis seems to mean amoxicillin and clavulanic acid.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24646528

Maybe Crawley has finally decided to do useful work, after hitting her lowest point helping Phil Parker promote the lightning process?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  9. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

HAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHAAAAAA Crawley do useful work? What planet do you live on? (sorry) She'll continue to do whatever brings in the spondulicks and the possibility of a dame-hood. After all, Sir Simon made it to being knighted, so why not Lady Esther? :sick:

10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You can easily find out. Create a survey to hand to the psychologists that asks them what they think about it.

11. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What does this mean, antibiotics plus wishy washy buzz words?
    I think placebos are more effective then buzzed words, though neither is a legitimate treatment for medical conditions. How ethical is this treatment anyways?

12. Amw66

Are we not trying to reduce antibiotic use?

Jan, adambeyoncelowe and ladycatlover like this.
  13. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am curious why they think it would work, i assume they have been tested before?

adambeyoncelowe and ladycatlover like this.
  14. Amw66

15. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Overall yes, but they are cheaper than an operation, even though both options include hospital stays.
    Antibiotics for a recognised bacterial infection are still allowed.

16. large donner

large donner Guest

The psychologist would argue that they would just give the lightbulb the tools to change itself.

17. MarcNotMark

MarcNotMark Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think they'll just leave it there and blame the lightbulb for not trying hard enough.

18. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or the version I know of how many psychologists to change a light bulb ... Only one, but the lightbulb really has to want to change. Found it really funny when I first heard it years ago, but now it seems to have more sinister connotations.

Valentijn, Sean, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  19. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

First they'd have to rename and redefine the lightbulb. Then they'd have to mix it in with a wide range of newly rechristened 'hanging electric items' for their high-quality, totally open-minded study into lightbulb changing.

While shouting 'STOP!' at the resultant assortment of lightbulbs, ceiling fans, extractor fans, and at least one or two ceiling-mounted speakers for good measure, they'd deduce that most 'lightbulbs' (as the hanging electric items themselves prefer to be called) in fact don't light up, but instead oscillate and move air.

They'd finally deduce that the hanging electric items suffer from 'false illumination beliefs' and would light up if only they tried a little harder. But they wouldn't share their workings with anyone and they'd change the goalposts from fitting the items to merely holding the objects up in the air.

20. large donner

large donner Guest

Everyone else is turning the lightbulb to get it out, while the BPS crowd is turning the whole ceiling and leaving the broken bulb in place in order to manoeuvre things the way they want.

Eventually the whole house will come crashing down around them.

ladycatlover, Sean, Allele and 6 others like this.