1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Contaminated Blood

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Amw66, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Amw66

text - with my bold

Ministers said in 2017 that:

All documents up to 1995 are available through the National Archive.
    However, following an exercise conducted by Factor 8 and hundreds of Freedom of Information requests, it was found that this, in fact, was not true. We had attempted to take this issue up directly with the Department of Health to no avail and so we sought the assistance of Baroness Featherstone who was able to put forward our claims and make progress.

Jason Evans (Founder of Factor 8) said:

For many years victims and families have been told and led to believe that all available documentation and evidence relating to the scandal had been either placed into the public domain or destroyed. Quite quickly during my investigation into this claim it became apparent that there was evidence held by the Department of Health that has never been released to anybody, we are talking about many thousands of pages. The obvious question is why?

Following the apology the Department of Health has said it is now carrying out "an assurance process", they said:

In the interest of transparency, and to ensure that we are able to provide everything that may be of use to the Infected Blood Inquiry and others, I have asked officials to identify all files the
    Department holds, or has held, that are in any way linked to the issue of infected blood. This
    includes files on what was known about the viruses, testing for and treatment of the viruses and any other files that relate to blood donation, blood products and blood safety from the period up to 1995, and identify which of those files are already available in The National Archives, which are in the process of being transferred and which, if any, are not yet in the process of being transferred. This process of file identification will be completed shortly so that we are in a position to respond to any requests from the Infected Blood Inquiry team.

However, the Department of Health is now using it's "assurance process" to block any further Freedom of Information requests upon newly identified files by Factor 8. In a response which cancelled over 50 Pending FOI requests made by this organisation the Department of Health said:

the public interest is better served by withholding this information
    The Public Inquiry into the Contaminated Blood Scandal which began on 2nd July 2018 will seek to establish if there has been a cover-up.

3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hasn't David Owen already said that many of the files which he saw as the relevant Minister were apparently unavailable and probably shredded, when he requested sight of them.

4. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What is the Blood Scandal?

Binkie4 likes this.
  5. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wonko, Invisible Woman, Inara and 4 others like this.
  6. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the context of ME, I also thought it a scandal that we cannot donate blood but we have a disease, to be treated according to Nice, by dealing with false illness beliefs and reconditioning. There is also a cover up of medical misfeasance/malfeasance.

JellyBabyKid, rvallee, Wonko and 7 others like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

The U.K. inquiry has finally started. For anyone wondering why the situation in the U.K. about treatment of people with ME PACE etc is taking such a long time to change. Yes it is 2019 and the blood scandal is only now being properly addressed. The forces of the dark side are very strong in this country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48104413

9. Amw66

Hmm
    It' s similar to the Gosport Hospital scandal too - things moving now after years and years. I take it enough people have died off to reduce compensation and / or some people in charge have retired/ died ...

chrisb, Ebb Tide, ScottTriGuy and 5 others like this.
  10. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Waiting around 30 years to sort it out properly seems to be the British way - Hillsborough, Bloody Sunday ...

So the PACE inquiry should publish its findings in about 2042.

11. Annamaria

Annamaria Senior Member (Voting Rights)

TiredSam likes this.
  12. Annamaria

Annamaria Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the UK, I should have said.

Amw66 likes this.