1. See the 'News in Brief' from w/c 12th August, by clicking here, Guest.
    Dismiss Notice

CDC Treatment Evidence Review

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Medfeb, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Medfeb

Medfeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The following update about the treatment evidence review being conducted by CDC was written by me (Mary Dimmock) and originally published in the summer edition of the ME Global Chronicle.

You may remember that in September 2018, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) solicited bids to conduct a systematic evidence review of ME/CFS treatments as an update to the 2014-2016 systematic evidence review commissioned by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). This new review, currently underway, could have a significant impact on treatment recommendations in clinical guidance for ME. I am a member of the key informants panel providing input on review questions and have agreed to hold those discussions and the names of the other members in confidence. In the meantime, the following summarizes what is known publicly about this important review, based on information provided by CDC and in the documentation for the bid solicitation.​

The Key Takeaways:
    • CDC is conducting this systematic evidence review as the first step in longer-term plans to develop treatment guidelines for ME/CFS
    • The timeline for completion has not yet been stated publicly but is estimated to be the first half of 2020
    • The handling of the disparate case definitions has not yet been specified. The 2016 Addendum to the 2014 AHRQ Evidence Review excluded Oxford studies from analysis
    • This review may consider other peer-reviewed literature that provides context for treatment of symptoms seen in ME/CFS (e.g. orthostatic intolerance, pain, etc)
    • The process for the review of the draft report has not yet been announced. During the 2014 evidence review, the public was given the opportunity to provide input
    Further details are available here

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member & Outreach

Thanks for the update, Mary.

One thing, "The solicitation stated this new review would include studies of treatments in “ME/CFS” but did specify what case definitions would be included or excluded or how Oxford studies would be handled", I think the "did" should be "didn't"?

3. Medfeb

Yes!. Thanks for catching that. FIxed

MEMarge, MSEsperanza, rvallee and 7 others like this.
  4. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks very much Mary for all your work on this x

WillowJ, MEMarge, Forbin and 16 others like this.
  5. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you Mary for all your hard work on this and other ME/CFS issues.

6. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you, Mary for your very extensive, and in-depth work on ME for all of us!

7. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for the update on this very important review, Mary.

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member & Outreach

http://www.virology.ws/2019/07/10/trial-by-error-mary-dimmock-on-cdcs-new-evidence-review/

Annamaria, WillowJ, rvallee and 10 others like this.
  9. Medfeb

Thanks for posting, @Andy

I'll post the link once the PROSPERO link to the project description is posted.

Annamaria, WillowJ, Milo and 4 others like this.