1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Australia: News from the Mason Foundation

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Andy, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.eqt.com.au/philanthropy...medical-grants/mason-national-medical-program

AndyPandy, ahimsa, Hutan and 13 others like this.
  2. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It’s been great to see that the Mason Foundation has acknowledged the NHMRC’s ME/CFS Advisory Committee’s report, followed its recommendations by encouraging grant applicants to use CCC/ICC and the NIH/CDC Common Data Elements, and have been influenced by the report’s recommendations in the focus of the grants, for translational research, collaboration and capacity building.

AndyPandy, ahimsa, rvallee and 9 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I agree. I've criticised the Mason Foundation in the past, but this call for applications looks very good.

4. MyalgicE

MyalgicE Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

and would this be perceived as a "defeat" for the Lloyd and the rest of the GET/CBT ideological brigades there?

Sean, MyalgicE and Trish like this.
  6. MyalgicE

MyalgicE Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unless Lloyd et al change their current view that MECFS = spectrum of fatigue...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30741357/

Sean, rvallee and Trish like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

2020 opportunity open.

The Mason Foundation ME/CFS research grants support research projects that focus on Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) Grants will be awarded to a maximum of $90,000 per annum, for up to 3 years.

Objective: Support research projects that focus on Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS)

Eligibility and application Process: Please refer to the Guidelines for details

Open: 16 October

Close: 16 November (11.59 PM AEDT)

APPLY NOW

https://www.eqt.com.au/philanthropy...medical-grants/mason-national-medical-program

8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

https://www.eqt.com.au/about-us/med...n-awards-1-4-million-to-fight-chronic-fatigue

MASON FOUNDATION AWARDS $1.4 MILLION TO FIGHT CHRONIC FATIGUE

4/03/2024

Approximately $1.4 million has been committed to support vital Australian research into Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS).

The Judith Jane Mason & Harold Stannett Williams Memorial Foundation (the Mason Foundation) is a charitable trust that was established by a generous donation in 2003 by Judith Jane Mason (nee Williams) and named in honour of her father Harold Stannett Williams, whom Ms Mason described as “a most intelligent, wonderful and charitable man”.

The Mason Foundation was one of the first philanthropic funders to recognise the importance of ME/CFS research, with funding going directly to solving the ongoing challenge of this elusive illness, which has a devastating impact on the lives of many.

The 2024 ME/CFS research grants program, will fund each of the following projects for up to $120,000 per annum over the next three years:

1. Dr Daniel Missailidis, La Trobe University - Bottom-up: linking the gut microbiota, immune system and metabolism in ME/CFS
    2. Prof Paul Fisher, La Trobe University - Diagnostic blood tests for ME/CFS (and Long COVID)
    3. A/Prof Lucette Cysique, University of New South Wales - Kynurenine pathways in the management of cognitive and physical fatigue in ME/CFS
    4. Dr Natalie Thomas, University of Melbourne – The ME/CFS Neuroendocrinology Program: identifying the unique steroid "hormone fingerprint" of ME/CFS and related hormone related events and triggers.
    Since establishment twenty years ago, the Mason Foundation has awarded more than $26 million of research funding, ensuring ongoing research for ME/CFS and Alzheimer’s disease.

Jodi Kennedy, General Manager, Philanthropy and Community Trustee Services at Equity Trustees, said the Mason Foundation grants are a demonstration of critical collaboration by a research consortium, into a condition that is not well understood or funded.

“The Mason Foundation ME/CFS research grants are the only competitive grants program that continuously funds ME/CFS research in Australia, in the search for a better understanding of how to prevent, treat and care for those experiencing this poorly understood and debilitating condition.” Ms Kennedy said.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2024
    Kitty, Sean, Simone and 5 others like this.
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Kitty and Sean like this.