1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

YourgutPlus+ - a pro- and pre-biotic supplement

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by Andy, Sep 2, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Disclaimer: I do not use this supplement, or have any connection with it or those selling it, simply posting for general interest - principally because it claims to support butyrate production.

"YourgutPlus+ was developed in May 2020 for the UK national Covid-19 dietary intervention study. For more details of the design and background of the scientific study please see the trials website (https://phyto-V.com). For a summary of the initial results see our ( research page. )

Yourgutplus+ contains a unique blend of 5 different, scientifically selected, butyrate enhancing lactobacillus probiotic bacteria, supported by an effective prebiotic, which encourages healthy bacterial growth, in the form of the natural soluble fibre inulin from whole chicory.

Yourgutplus+ contains a healthy amount vitamin D3, the absorption and bio-availability of which is enhanced by the lactobacillus. Low Vitamin D levels, common in the UK northern countries, can trigger a number of chronic disease (read more). In return, vitamin D3 encourages the growth of the “good bacteria” so there is a healthy synergy between these lactobacillus and vitamin D (read more).

Yougutplus+ aims to help restore a healthy gut flora with an emphasis on safety. It uses a patented slow release capsule which help avoid digestion of the bacteria by the stomach helping the bacteria reach the large bowel where they are most needed."

https://yourgutplus.com/

The ME Association posted about this here, https://meassociation.org.uk/2022/0...-of-symptoms-among-individuals-with-covid-19/, with a brief comment about it from Charles Shepherd.

Trish, Ariel and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought your title started with the word "YogurtPlus" and wondered why you were writing a post about yogurt. :bag:

3. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is this pronounced "YourGut plus plus" or alternatively "Yoghurt plus plus" as in Orwell's double-plus-good?

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we are going to get anywhere with supplements; so many of us have tried these approaches for so long. It's also unhelpful for people to hear that LC or ME/CFS can be helped by "probiotics" as they will just think we need a yoghurt.

4. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Contains
    • Lactobacillus plantarum
    • Lactobacillus rhamnosus
    • Lactobacillus bulgaricus
    • Lactococcus lactis
    • Lactobacillus paracasei
    Nothing we haven't seen before in a probiotic but its all about the strain and whether its one found in humans or not. Its so hard to find quality probiotics that are based on species of bacteria for the human gut, everyone wants to give the plant ones as they are easier to get and cultivate but they don't tend to stick around in our guts. Since they don't claim its human variant I doubt it is.

5. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

By 'Chandler fatigue questionnaire' do they mean the Chalder one?

6. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Until reading your comment @Arnie Pye I continued to think it was Yogurt Plus an exciting new pro biotic product.

alktipping, MeSci, Arnie Pye and 3 others like this.
  7. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Alas, I became sensitive to fibre metabolites (I believe it's the propionic acid, but it could be the butyric) a couple of months ago. After decades of above average fibre intake (with no problems from it), even small amounts will make me extremely groggy and sluggish the following day, and it takes several days for it to pass. Such a confusing disease.

Thus i won't be trying this product and becoming fully healthy again after the first capsule. Darn. :(

MeSci, Peter Trewhitt and Ariel like this.
  8. Tara Green

Tara Green Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just started husband on the phyto-v yesterday after reading a promising article where a LC sufferer felt better after 3 days of taking it. The leaflet says to get this product too. Problem is husband can't swallow pills but needs to empty the capsule. Might anyone know if this would be beneficial or useless waste since the time release capsule is designed to get the bacteria into the gut.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From their FAQ, https://yourgutplus.com/frequenty-asked-questions/

1. What is a delayed release capsule?
    The vegetable based capsule which carries the ingredients is designed to resist the acid in the stomach allowing the healthy bacteria to pass into the remaining gut where they are most needed.

so it would seem that your husband is unlikely to possibly benefit if he can't swallow the capsule.

Peter Trewhitt, Tara Green and Trish like this.
  10. Tara Green

Tara Green Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, that is what I thought, I just wanted to check. I might contact them also to see if they have any other suggestions which I have only just thought to do.

Peter Trewhitt, Trish and Andy like this.