1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Why do we need a genetic study like DecodeME?" Blog in British Science Week.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Simon M, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope the Mods won't mind me creating a thread for this blog, which looks at why genetic studies are so important. Posted for British Science Week.

Decades on, and with over $100m spent on research (it should have been much more), we still don't know for sure any causes of ME/CFS. Genetic studies cut through the causes and effect problem that plague most other studies: how do you know if the difference from healthy controls indicates a cause of ME/CFS or is just an effect of chronic illness?

Illness does not change our DNA, so if there is a difference, it's because it is playing a role in increasing the risk of getting it. These DNA differences (if found!) should point towards biological causes.
    >>>>

Why do we need a genetic study like DecodeME?

People with ME/CFS want effective treatments. To find treatments, researchers must first find the causes of ME/CFS. Despite having several promising lines of enquiry, the causes of ME/CFS remain unknown.

A genetic study can help because DNA studies are particularly good at identifying the root causes of disease.

The problem: biological differences might not reveal disease causes
    Researchers often find biological differences between people with ME/CFS and healthy people. These include differences in immune signalling molecules called cytokines, differences in mitochondria, the power stations that provide fuel for our cells, and much more.

I am happy to also discuss why we need such a BIG genetic study.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1503407740865105924

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    Michelle, Aimossy, FMMM1 and 29 others like this.