1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Spotlight on Long Covid webinar series, The Royal Society of Medicine

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Sly Saint, May 28, 2021.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Key speakers incl

"
    3:00pm
    Session 3

Panel discussion featuring representatives from key studies researching the long-term impact of Covid on physical and mental health

Professor Paul Elliott, Director of REACT programme and UK DRI Group Leader, Imperial College London

Professor Nishi Chaturvedi, Lead of 'Characterisation, determinants, mechanisms and consequences of the long-term effects of COVID-19' study, University College London

Professor Esther Crawley, Co-author of 'Non-hospitalised Children & young people with Long Covid' (The CLoCk Study), University of Bristol"

https://www.rsm.ac.uk/events/rsm-studios/2020-21/cep68/

(see thread https://www.s4me.info/threads/non-h...lock-study-2021-stephenson-and-crawley.19061/)

2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Recycling the emperors clothes......

hibiscuswahine, sebaaa, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I started working with adults with physical disability I was in my late twenties, and many of my patients were the same age as me, many were from a similar nondescript urban middle class background to me. It really struck me then how much I had taken for granted: teenage rebellion, experimenting with life, going to university, moving away from home, relationships, travel, starting a career. My ME did not begin until I was in my late thirties so I had had chance to experience so much before then.

ME and now Long Covid can take those opportunities from many young people, but significantly medical mismanagement can worsen the condition and risk creating a permanent life limiting disability. How can it be acceptable that people who have harmed so many children with ME on the basis of unethical and just plain bad research are being allowed to inflict that same harm on children with Long Covid, to take away opportunities that so many of us take for granted?

4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's tragic. Where are the children's social services people on this? I know traditionally they see some parents as bad, and take the kids away.

It seems not to occur to them that those on the other side of the table, those in like professions may be a problem.

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The embodiment of the Peter principle, falling ass-backwards into being recognized as an expert despite being completely clueless and having failed at everything on the topic. Amazing. Truly an eminence-based society.

Here's your participation trophy as ordered. They really do hand them out like candy out there. Everyone who fails gets a participation trophy. What a system.

6. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This session (Session 3) is chaired by Wessely.

hibiscuswahine, Hutan and MEMarge like this.
  7. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Session 2 has some good speakers:

Post-viral syndrome
    Professor Danny Altmann, Professor of Immunology at Imperial College London

Long-term Covid symptoms
    Dr Nathalie MacDermott, NIHR Academic Clinical Lecturer in Paediatrics (Infectious Diseases), Kings College London

hibiscuswahine and Hutan like this.
  8. rvallee

Looking forward to the Royal Society webinar on climate change featuring the CEOS of every major fossil fuel company, chaired by someone wearing an oil derrick costume that sprays the audience with tar.

What a bunch of crap. Merit doesn't mean a damn thing in this profession.

9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

10. rvallee

They actually did it again. They invited Wessely and Crawley to talk about the very topic they have spent their entire career trying to destroy. Again. Safe to say that medicine is essentially anti-meritocratic and rewards failure.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1413143938374930437

hibiscuswahine and MEMarge like this.
  11. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone have access to this webinar?

MEMarge likes this.
  12. rvallee

13. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved post

FYI S4ME!

[​IMG]

Spotlight on Long COVID: Part 2

Date:
    Thursday 20 January 2022
    Time: 12:30pm to 3:30pm (GMT)

CPD learning accredited

Dear Sir/Madam,

According to new figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS), an estimated 1.2 million people in England reported suffering from long COVID
    in September, with rates rising fastest in teenagers and young people. The prevalence of self-reported long COVID has remained highest in people living in more deprived areas and those working in health or social care.

Six months on from our first Spotlight on long COVID, this second episode will look at the current prevalence and cases of long COVID, how our understanding of symptoms and treatments has moved on, and the challenges around access to care.

This episode will:

• Advise health professionals on how to continue managing and supporting patients with long COVID using the latest research and treatments
    • Showcase how long COVID has impacted children and young people
    • Discuss the challenges and solutions around access to care, and rising referral rates to long COVID clinics
    • Address the various barriers that different population groups like minority ethnic communities are facing around long COVID
    • Find out how healthcare workers are being affected by long COVID e.g., morale, workforce turnover, wellbeing
    • Understand how other countries are coping with long COVID and what they are doing differently to the UK
    Those who book now will have another chance to watch the first episode of Spotlight on Long COVID with a free link to the recording.
    Book webinar ►
    Guest speakers
    Dr Bola Owolabi MB BS DFFP MRCGP MSc

Director of Health Inequalities at NHS England and NHS Improvement. General Practitioner.

Dr Elaine Maxwell

Scientific Advisor at NIHR

Dr Graham Burns

Consultant Physician in Respiratory and General Medicine at Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary

Professor Roz Shafran

Chair in Translational Psychology at the UCL Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health

Dr Kiren Collison

Interim Deputy Medical Director for Primary Care for NHS England and Improvement. Clinical Chair of Oxfordshire CCG, Co-Chair of her ICS Primary Care Board and board member of NHS Clinical Commissioners.

Graham Lawton

Staff writer and columnist at New Scientist, and the author of The Origin of (Almost) Everything

A CPD certificate with 3 CPD credits will be issued to those joining the webinar live as well as those who watch the recording afterwards. Certificates will be issued 7 days after the webinar to those who watch it live and after 30 days for those that watch the recording.

Join in the conversation online using #RSMLive

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2021
  14. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

The title of this thread has been changed to reflect that this is a series of webinars, and a post on the second installment in the series have been moved into the thread.

ukxmrv, NelliePledge and Trish like this.
  15. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Neurological and Psychiatric outcomes of Covid

https://www.rsm.ac.uk/resources/covid-19-series/

There is still time to book your place to join today's episode of the COVID-19 series.
    Covid and the brain

We're delighted to welcome Professor Henrietta Bowden-Jones OBE, Trustee, Royal Society of Medicine and Consultant Psychiatrist who will
    will converse with Professor Paul Harrison, Professor of Psychiatry, Oxford University. They look to discuss and answer questions about the neurological and psychiatric outcomes of Covid, and examine the level of risk in different human profiles and SARS-CoV-2 variants

The COVID-19 Series is continuing on a monthly basis, and bookings are now being taken directly on the RSM website.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2022
    Peter Trewhitt likes this.