1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th August 2022 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Washington Post: Could long covid unlock clues to chronic fatigue and other poorly understood conditions?

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Dx Revision Watch, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Washington Post

Health
    Could long covid unlock clues to chronic fatigue and other poorly understood conditions?

By Frances Stead Sellers
    Today at 7:00 a.m. EST

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/11/07/long-covid-fatigue-research/

(...)

In February, NIH Director Francis S. Collins said the $1.15 billion investment in research would go beyond long covid to “improve our understanding of other chronic post-viral syndromes and autoimmune diseases, as well as other diseases with similar symptoms.”

Walter Koroshetz, director of NIH’s National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke and co-chair of the new initiative, said his and other departments have been collaborating on ME/CFS for several years but with little success, in part because the initial infection was often unclear and the symptoms diffuse. Now, Koroshetz said, covid is providing scientists with a “natural experiment.”

“This is our best chance to figure out ME/CFS,” Koroshetz said, “with the resources and an army of people.”

etc,

sebaaa, EzzieD, Simon M and 16 others like this.
  2. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

sebaaa, Mithriel, Sean and 4 others like this.
  3. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:skull::emoji_performing_arts: I’m ducking and weaving.
    I’m twirling, I’m whirling.
    A puff of smoke,
    wave of my cloak.
    On my dust you all choke.

Perrier, Sean, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The least relevant comment is from an NIH researcher, and somehow this is a perfect metaphor for everything. But overall a good article.

As for the lucrative snake oil market: it only exists because medicine is especially fond of a special type of snake oil and can't let go of it. Doesn't help that some of the worst charlatans have MDs. That never helps.

Mithriel, EzzieD, Ash and 11 others like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting how some of the least self-aware in this world are psychiatrists.

And by interesting I mean utterly appalling.

sebaaa, ola_cohn, John Mac and 11 others like this.
  6. 5vforest

5vforest Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dear god what can we do to stop these headlines (“chronic fatigue”), especially when they are attached to an otherwise well-informed article!?

Helene, shak8, Peter Trewhitt and 7 others like this.
  7. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately quotes Amy Proal, who has zero data, and not anyone from OMF, etc.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.