1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Wales Online: This woman from Cardiff has been trapped in her bed for more than ten years

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Indigophoton, Apr 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/woman-cardiff-been-trapped-bed-14575717.amp

Andy, Little Bluestem, Barry and 7 others like this.
  2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I see the little info video clip in the article claims most people get better over time.

3. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

‘Carol, who said ME is a physical rather than mental condition’

I wish we could stop referring to this at all. By mentioning it, its putting that idea back into people’s heads every time. Instead of just talking about it like the physical illness it is.

We don’t hear people with other physical illnesses (usually) say it ‘its physical rather than mental’ That term is not even considered.

By referring to this notion each time, we’re just keeping that idea/question fresh in people’s minds.

‘She said she has not been offered Graded Exercise Therapy (GET) or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)’

This phrase makes it sound like she’s hard done by ‘because’ she hasn’t been offered these therapies. Instead of lucky.

I’m sick of the name of these therapies being squeezed into and contaminating our ME articles.

Hopefully this will slowly change but for the average person out there, most times they read something about ME, those therapies are getting advertised to them each time and leaving an imprint in their psyche.

I wish we could just move away from the whole mental aspect in our raising awareness. By us mentioning it constantly its just keeping it alive and fresh.

4. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Invisible Woman likes this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I am unsure about the effect of this article on the 'ignorant' reader.

I am very grateful to Carol, the subject of the article for being willing to share her story in public like this and I wish her improved health. She has for many years, and clearly continues to suffer very badly.

My hesitation is in the tone that the journalist has given to the article. It's full of 'she says...', she claims...', 'she believes...', 'she is afraid to...' all of which has the possibility of sowing seeds of doubt in the sceptical reader's mind.

6. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, @Trish, the "which she claims has left her unable to leave her house" caught my attention. Why not "which has left her unable to leave her house"? Still, it is good that articles are being written about severe ME that are not total rubbish.