1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Researcher Interactions Video: Science for ME Q&A with Dr Karl Morten, University of Oxford, Sept 2019 - Part 1 and 2

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Andy, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Delighted to release our latest Q&A. I have split it into two parts due to the length of the conversation.

Part one - Acumen/Myhill Test discussed | Processing of samples | Details from his NZ presentation

Copy-and-paste
    Code:
    https://youtu.be/CfON3BVOuW8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfON3BVOuW8

Part two - Something in the blood | MRC application | Plans for future research

Copy-and-paste
    Code:
    https://youtu.be/5_BE-qdrS00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_BE-qdrS00

MarcNotMark, Gecko, rainy and 34 others like this.
  2. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for this, @Andy! Looking forward to watching!

Yessica, Ron, JaneL and 4 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Andy and Karl Morten for this. I found it all very interesting.

One thing that strikes me from having just watched the Stanford Symposium over the last couple of days is that it would be good if Karl could meet up with a wider range of researchers to exchange ideas.

Channa, MEMarge, Sunshine3 and 17 others like this.
  4. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If anyone is able to summarise or transcribe I would be super grateful

Samuel, Yessica, Ron and 3 others like this.
  5. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Andy Thank you for this Q&A. This interaction is very useful and may help speed things up. I sincerely hope this Q&A series continue with other researchers as well.

20:02 (Part One ): Dr Morten says that they can differentiate with 100% accuracy between ME patients and controls on a polish cohort based on Glutamate/glutamine metabolites. Very interesting but does require further inspection

I was also happy to hear that Dr Morten is thinking in terms of patient segments/clusters.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Joh, MEMarge, Yessica and 9 others like this.
  6. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So would I!

Yessica, JaneL and mango like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Fingers crossed that someone else will be able to do this, I'm afraid I'm on to the next job already.

It's certainly my intention to, I'll keep doing them as long as I can find those researchers who are willing and able to take part. :)

ringding, Gecko, Simone and 14 others like this.
  8. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The reason that oxygen levels start high and drop sharply right after is because the machine that controls the oxygen levels in the medium is turned on or begins taking effect. These reduced oxygen levels more closely reflect physiological levels. That's how I understood it anyway.

Du8AN3FXcAADck-.jpg

Morten also provided further information on this experiment and said he doesn't see the effect with heparinized blood, that cancer cells react differently, and that a similar effect is seen when glycosis is inhibited. I was very tired while listening to this part and hope I didn't write anything wrong.

Edit: mnore accurately he said:

If you block glucose metabolism at the level of glycolysis and prevent it from going into the mitochondria you see something very similar to what can be seen in the graph, which gives him some ideas about ME/CFS.

He also thinks that oxygen consumption reflects mitochondrial activity, unlike Ron Davis nanoneedle test where it's not clear what is being measured.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Simon M, Marhalhud, JaneL and 7 others like this.
  9. Tbird

Tbird New Member

Hi, I just watched the second video. Dr Morten mentioned they are working with Dr Oltra in Valencia. He also says they're thinking of crowd funding some projects. Being a Spanish resident I can reclaim a whopping 75% of charity/public university etc donations for the first 150e and 30% after that.

Would be great if I could donate in Spain for any crowd funding. Can someone @ me if they set up anything and I'll post it on the Spanish ME group sites

Cheers!

10. Hoopoe

One of the prevalent sensations in my body, especially when exhausted, could be described as a feeling similar to that of lack of air. It's more on the subtle side though.

Joh, MEMarge, It's M.E. Linda and 4 others like this.
  11. Sarah94

How big was this cohort?

12. Sarah94

@Sly Saint just wondering if you think you'll be able to do a transcript for this? :)

13. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I remember reading youtube can do some auto-transcription thing, to produce subtitles... but when I tried to use this I wasted a lot of time and achieved nothing. That could show it's difficult to do, or just that I'm an idiot.

MEMarge likes this.
  14. Sarah94

They can do this but they get a LOT of words wrong.

Esther12 likes this.
  15. Esther12

I expect correcting those words would be a lot easier than starting afresh. I need to work out how to do use this as I never really understood why I kept failing last time.

16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I've just tried. I clicked on the video, then clicked on ''You Tube'' at the bottom, so I was seeing the video on the You Tube channel, then clicked on ''CC'' at the bottom and the subtitles came on.
    Edit: I don't know how to turn that into a transcript.

ukxmrv and Esther12 like this.
  17. Esther12

Trish likes this.
  18. Hoopoe

Here are the transcripts. Nothing stopping you from using copy and paste.

Attached Files:

19. Esther12

Oh yeah - I hadn't even seen the 'open transcript' option.

MEMarge and Trish like this.
  20. Sarah94

These are all automated and not an accurate transcription. I can't follow it.