1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

USA: Disability Insurance for ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by Emily Taylor, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Emily Taylor

Emily Taylor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

July 2019 Solve ME Webinar: Disability Insurance for ME/CFS

Disability Insurance Attorney Andrew Kantor from Kantor & Kantor, LLP joins us to explain the ins and outs of filing for disability under an ERISA (employer-sponsored) Policy when disabled from ME/CFS.

Register for the webinar here: https://register.gotowebinar.com/regist…/7859837279936060428

We'll discuss common pitfalls patients face when applying, how to best protect yourself from a denial of benefits from a biased insurance company, and what to if you have received that denial.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2022
    MSEsperanza, Comet, ahimsa and 9 others like this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds interesting - thanks.

MSEsperanza and Binkie4 like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Sly Saint

another youtube video (seems well informed)
    Social Security Disability Benefits For Myalgic Encephalomyelitis | Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRPNQ9uAMHY

5. Emily Taylor

Bump!

Don't forget to register - webinar is in 3 days!

Andy and MSEsperanza like this.
  6. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I must agree with Samuel on the general point that, too often, such events are promoted with insufficient attention to needs of the anticipated audience. Most ME charities are relying on the internet and its easiest methods rather than thinking clearly about what patients can manage. I'm online, obviously, but my participation in various events put on by SMCI, MEAction, Bateman-Horne Institute, NIH seminars? Close to zero, for all the reasons @Samuel mentions.

I'm chair-bound, and seldom have the mental bandwidth to participate in any scheduled event or to read much (so "bye-bye" MEAction emails, long posts on s4ME, long videos, Facebook support groups, and the myriad other "communication" methods that are beyond me and make me feel overwhelmed). I can and do occasionally print out and read short sections of material (thank you OMF!), so I can easily keep track of where I am, but that's pretty much it for me. But if there isn't a transcript I can read at my own pace, an online seminar or research report does me no good.

I don't mean to be snarky, but there really isn't sufficient attention paid to those who are more severely ill. If "communication" is done in a way that the intended audience can't make use of, then it really isn't communication, is it?

7. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wasn't able to attend this webinar today; anyone happen to watch / have a recap of some valuable points?

8. Emily Taylor

9. Sly Saint

New Republic Article by Zaitchik Discusses COVID Long-Haulers ... and Their Disability Remedy
    https://lawprofessors.typepad.com/w...ong-haulers-and-their-disability-remedy-.html

cfsandmore likes this.