1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Unravelling .. (ME/CFS): Gender‐specific changes in the microRNA expression profiling in ME/CFS, 2020, Cheema, Klimas et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jcmm.15260#.XpbcH96IXqs

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Have only skimmed this, but looking at the charts, there isn't much to get excited about here. Possibly a difference between healthy controls and males with ME/CFS in two miRNAs, but considering the number of miRNAs looked at, the fairly small sample sizes, and the possibility of confounding factors, well, those two are worth looking at a bit more, but, yeah.

To get an idea, all you really need to know about the charts below is that blue are controls and red are people with ME/CFS, and these are just the results for the miRNAs showing the biggest differences:
    Females:
    Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 10.01.35 AM.png
    Males:
    Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 10.02.00 AM.png

3. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting. The two miRNA's in males that @Hutan highlights as interesting are miRNA-423-5p and miRNA-4443. Just shows you the power of ignoring the fancy words in a paper and looking at the scatter plot to see what really is interesting! I'm only able to scan the paper quickly too.......Sigh

There seems to be a fair few cancer studies looking at miRNA-423-5p. This study looks interesting - perhaps males with ME have more cell Autophagy going on (Autophagy is the body's way of cleaning out damaged cells, in order to regenerate newer, healthier cells). Could this tie in with Karl Morten and Fisher et al reporting lymphocytes in ME patients die quicker in test tubes? I wonder if they have the capability of measuring cell death rate vs miRNA-423-5p expression?

"miRNA-423-5p Promotes Autophagy in Cancer Cells and Is Increased in Serum From Hepatocarcinoma Patients Treated With Sorafenib"
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2162253116300191

miRNA-4443 seems to be related to Leptin and insulin. I seem to remember Leptin has come up in ME studies before. Anyone know if Karl Morten has looked at male vs female results on Leptin or insulin in his metabolomics studies? @Andy?

"Leptin and insulin up-regulate miR-4443 to suppress NCOA1 and TRAF4, and decrease the invasiveness of human colon cancer cells."
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27842582

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Perrier, spinoza577, Ebb Tide and 4 others like this.