1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Unpaid carers are the missing piece in treatment guidelines and research priorities for ME/CFS, 2022, O’Dwyer et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Sly Saint, Jul 14, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

authors:
    1. Siobhan O’Dwyer, senior lecturer in ageing and family care1,
    2. Sarah Boothby, former carer2,
    3. Georgia Smith, research fellow1,
    4. Lucy Biddle, senior lecturer3,
    5. Nina Muirhead, dermatology surgeon4,
    6. Sharmila Khot, consultant in anaesthesia, intensive care, and pain medicine5
    The recent publication of an all party parliamentary group report,12 a National Institute for Health and Care Exellence guideline,3 and new research priorities4 heralds a dramatic shift in approaches and attitudes to myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) in the UK.

Largely ignored in all three publications, however, are unpaid carers (known outside the UK as family carers or caregivers). Most people with ME/CFS …

paywalled
    https://www.bmj.com/content/378/bmj.o1691.full

eta:
    pdf
    https://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/378/bmj.o1691.full.pdf

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a version of this rapid response which can be read for free here https://www.bmj.com/content/377/bmj.o1341/rr

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Prioritising Unpaid Carers in New Approaches to ME/CFS

"Consequently, there is an urgent need to:
    • Acknowledge the significant harm that has been done to carers by a health and social care system that has misunderstood and mistreated people with ME/CFS.
    • Ensure carers’ voices are included in all policy making about ME/CFS.
    • Recognise carers as experts by experience and vital advocates, particularly for those with severe ME/CFS who may be unable to advocate for themselves.
    • Ensure health and social care professionals are equipped with the skills and resources to engage in positive working relationships with carers.
    • Ensure that the wellbeing of ME/CFS carers is a priority in health and social care provision.
    • Ensure that the wellbeing of carers is a priority for ME/CFS research. "

https://www.exeter.ac.uk/media/univ.../ODwyer_Unpaid_carers_ME-CFS_Policy_brief.pdf

Amw66, It's M.E. Linda, Sean and 4 others like this.
  5. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I feel there is a lot missing here about carers. To me one of the big issues is having flexibility from an employer.

As a carer I have been very lucky in my employer being flexible and allowing me to work at home when necessary and I've also avoided all travel for many years so that I am there to do the basic stuff of things like getting meals. Without such flexibility huge stresses could be created either trying to work and not doing all the caring necessary or having to work part time (or loose a job) which would mean huge financiall stress for the family. The stigma associated with ME can make this harder.

Amw66, It's M.E. Linda, Sean and 7 others like this.
  6. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If the DWP paid all unpaid carers, I wonder what the savings would be for social care more generally? We do seem to have a crisis in social care, and this might take some of the pressure off.

Amw66, It's M.E. Linda, Sean and 3 others like this.