1. Guest, 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 17th February 2020 - click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: Why isn't ME on the NHS flu vaccination list?

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by ArtStu, Oct 14, 2019.

1. ArtStu

ArtStu Established Member (Voting Rights)

I've just had a bit of a struggle convincing my doctor that I am actually eligible for a flu jab because ME isn't listed here https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/who-should-have-flu-vaccine/

It requires the doctor to view ME as a chronic neurological illness.

Why hasn't any of the ME charities pushed for ME to be on this list? or perhaps they have?

Hutan, alktipping, Barry and 5 others like this.
  2. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It does say the list is not definitive. Mea do a leaflet on the flu jab. I understand as I’ve had to battle drs before despite being frail in bed etc. I suppose it’s due to both dispute over classification as well as dispute over it is A serious physical illness versus some disordered state of deconditioning combined with circadian dysregulation or whatever the BPS Lot Argue.

alktipping, DokaGirl and ArtStu like this.
  3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it would be worth you getting a copy of the MEA leaflet as, unless I am misremembering it which a distinct possibility, it says that ME patients should be entitled to the free flue jab.

4. ArtStu

ArtStu Established Member (Voting Rights)

You're correct it does. My doctor even suggested that the MEA should lobby for ME to be added to the list to avoid doubt.

5. Adrian

Adrian Administrator

The ME association issues advice each year around flu vaccines (some have been concerned that they may trigger symptoms). They also make comments on eligibility in their leaflet.

https://www.meassociation.org.uk/2019/10/new-free-leaflet-the-2019-2020-flu-vaccine-01-october-2019/
    https://www.meassociation.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Flu-Vaccinations-2019-20-September-2019.pdf

6. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I always get confused at this time of year, I just don’t know if I should have it or not.

7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Isn't the flu shot available to everyone?

Diluted-biscuit, DokaGirl and Trish like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is about whether you get it free on the NHS anyone who can afford to get a jab can pay to get one

ETA cost eg £12.99 at Boots Pharmacies

9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Okay. I get it free here in Canada because I have ME.

10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not sure I see any particular reason for people with ME to have free flu jabs any more than anyone else except perhaps for being short of cash. The reason for advising flu jabs for people with Parkinson's or MS is likely to relate to the increased risk of secondary chest infection in people with neurological impairment of respiration. I don't think that applies to ME.

11. Adrian

Adrian Administrator

The other group of relevance here who are entitled to flu jabs are full time carers (especially those in receipt of carers allowance). I assume this is a cost thing for the government in that it could get expensive to provide alternative care when a carer is ill (as well as reducing the spread of disease).

ladycatlover and Trish like this.