1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Radio programme on high-carbohydrate foods

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by MeSci, Jul 2, 2018.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b86702

I would have liked to put this in a more ME/CFS-related thread, as sugar problems are high on the ME/CFS agenda, but they aren't unique to ME/CFS either.

The Eatwell Guide

The Food Programme

Sheila Dillon questions whether the government's Eatwell Plate that's issued to the medical profession and used as public guidance for a balanced diet could actually be harming us. An increasing number of medics are abandoning the plate because they say it still promotes dangerously high levels of starchy carbohydrates and processed foods that contain high levels of the sugars that cause many of today's chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes and heart disease. Cardiologist Dr Aseem Malhotra author of the Pioppi diet is campaigning to change the official advice and says that a healthy diet and lifestyle are the key to reducing disease and the need for medication, but he says that vested interests from the food and pharmaceutical industries make some of these healthier choices more difficult to achieve. Dr David Unwin is a GP who has seen a huge spike in patients presenting with Type 2 Diabetes since he began practicing forty years ago. He advises lifestyle changes that include abandoning the Eatwell Guide and cutting out the starchy carbohydrates, processed foods and sugars and has seen a reversal of the disease in a significant number of patients.

Sheila also visits Tameside Hospital in Greater Manchester which is overhauling its canteen food and vending machine produce to reduce processed carbohydrates and sugary drinks and snacks. In celebration of the 70th anniversary of the NHS the hospital will go completely sugar free on July 4th.

Is it time to revise the Eatwell Guide and what will it take to do so?

(I do worry about what they might replace the sugar with though - I use xylitol.)

2. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suppose the Eatwell guide is the UK equivalent of the Canadian food guide ? It’s being revisited here as well.

Sugar is a modern day demon...

hellytheelephant and MeSci like this.
  4. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They’ve revisited the plate many many times and the evidence isn’t there to make the changes that this ‘doctor’ proposes.

It’s the same usual quacking that comes from Jamie Oliver’s mate ...the failed cardiologist...perhaps if he did less book promotion and campaigning for woo diets he would be a bit more balanced? I guess he is like Michael Mosley ...likes to call himself a doctor when it suits his preaching, but in reality tried it after qualifying for a bit then decided to make a living somewhere else.

All pure fantasy ...the issue is overeating carbs (well beyond what is recommended) pure and simple but the solution isn’t extreme dieting ...just more measured portion control and rebalancing ...it amazes me how easily some people resort to or like the idea of extremes ....it’s most of the problem with food fake news nowadays ...ill informed advice that has a commercial solution that benefits the protagonist.

I also dislike it when medical doctors pass off their exams rather than their experience as credentials in nutrition. Smacks of institutional elitism ...being an M.D. doesn’t make you an authority on everything.

This guy is a food facist that wants legislation to control what people eat and actually has a poor understanding of such measures and how effective they are. He is clearly out of his depth when it comes to talking about diet consumers and the economy.

But look at how many adverts for his book appears with every news article and you will see a string pattern of self interest? Quite similar to Jamie Oliver enterprises actually.

Quite frankly I want neither of these people deciding policy for how much money the government takes in taxes from my families monthly food spend ...I would prefer that they focus on areas they better understand. Cooking and well I can’t speak for the quality of the “cardiologist’s” work...he doesn’t seem to spend much time doing it is all I can say judging by the number of campaign days he has for his diet book publicity.

TiredSam likes this.