1. The 'News In Brief' post for w/c 8th October is now available Guest, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: PIP assessment companies admit ‘unacceptable’ failings on quality of reports

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by Andy, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.c...-unacceptable-failings-on-quality-of-reports/

So, if we accept the figure of 250,000 PwME in the UK. 25% of those are estimated to be, at best, housebound, if not bedbound, which equates to 62,500 PwME. The question obviously would be how many of those 62,500 are attempting to draw benefits but given that, at best, only 9,000 home assessments are done, it's easy enough to see that there is a major problem.

MEMarge, Esther12, Joel and 6 others like this.
  2. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know the figure of 250,000 is the one popularly touted about, but I'm not confident that it is a fair number. The study, whose name I forget and that looked at 4 GP surgeries in different parts of the country, came up with data that suggested the total would be around half of that. Looking at the whole of the group of patients in 4 different surgeries is probably the best method I have seen yet of estimating the numbers involved. My feeling is that perhaps 250,000 would fit the more general criteria of, say, CFS, and that is consistent with the PACE trial finding that half of its sample satisfied the London criteria for ME. It's all sloppy estimation, of course.

Mind you, if a quarter of these are housebound, that still means 30,000, and we haven't even counted other crippling conditions.

3. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So far I think the select committee are doing ok (I've been following some of this on parliament tv) but of course it remains to be seen what if any good comes of their work.
    Should be in every newspaper, with factual detail.

MEMarge, Graham, Esther12 and 3 others like this.