1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: Opportunity to join a National Institute for Health Research advisory research committee, closes 15th March 2021

Discussion in 'General disability topics and advocacy' started by Andy, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From an NIHR email.

Join a research committee and help the NIHR make funding recommendations on world-class research, improving NHS services and social care in England.

The National Institute for Health Research is inviting patients, carers, services users and members of the public interested in health and social care to join a number of its national and regional research committees.

The committees include public members, senior academics and NHS clinicians and practitioners, who together assess research proposals and make recommendations for funding.

The committees have an important part to play to help us deliver our mission to improve the health and wealth of the nation through research. As the nation’s largest funder of health and social care research, we work in partnership with the NHS, universities, local government, other research funders, patients and the public, to deliver world-class research that transforms people's lives, promotes economic growth and advances science.

We have vacancies for a number of committees responsible for making funding recommendations in health and social care research. The research will bring together some of the best minds in the nation to develop world-class research to improve patient care and drive innovation in areas such as diagnostics and treatment models.

We are looking for patients, carers, service users and members of the public who are interested in a broad range of health and social care topics and research, beyond their own personal experience.

To ensure we do not have an overlap of skills, knowledge and experience with our professional committee members, we exclude applications to public committee roles from people who have, or have had, a professional role in health or social care services or research.

Watch this video to learn about how public members are making a difference.

For more information about the role, eligibility criteria and how to apply, visit the NIHR website: Public Committee Member - National and Regional Committees

alktipping, Kitty, ukxmrv and 3 others like this.
  2. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here's my humble suggestion for improving NIHR research and saving the UK government millions of pounds: stop funding Esther Crawley's work and Trudie Chalder's.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    EzzieD, alktipping, nick2155 and 5 others like this.
  3. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

just to add screening out self serving careerist who are heavily invested in the illness denial industry .

4. Tilly

Tilly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there a list of their funding? I know they did the MAGENTA trial together and I know there was other trials in the UCL but cant remember which ones they were now.

alktipping and Amw66 like this.
  5. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The NIHR has a funding and awards website, you can search for their names: https://fundingawards.nihr.ac.uk/search

Finding their other sources of funding (university, MRC, DWP etc) would need more digging.

alktipping likes this.
  6. Tilly

Tilly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well that made me grumpy on a Monday Fluff a Duck. It seems to me as though they are supporting therapists rather than patients with Lightning Process and then the ACT. I wonder if you follow the money where it will lead ?

cassava7, alktipping and Trish like this.