1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: News from ME Research UK

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Andy, May 10, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Binkie4, livinglighter, Ash and 15 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

3. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perth charity funds ME research with potential clues into long Covid

"ME Research UK, along with The Gordon Parish Charitable Trust, has announced a £400,000 joint initiative to research the role of viruses in ME/CFS.

The research project is not only relevant to ME/CFS, but also to long Covid, with suggestions sufferers are exhibiting parallel symptoms.

The announcement follows news every Scot who has tested positive for the coronavirus will be invited to take part in a study into long Covid.

(...)

ME Research UK hope this latest research project will give insight into the role of viruses in ME/CFS and is inviting applications from researchers."
    Edit: It looks like researchers from other countries can apply too.

Edit 2: This is where they can apply, the deadline is 30th July, 2021: https://www.meresearch.org.uk/research/research-grants/

Article: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/lif...esearch-with-potential-clues-into-long-covid/

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  5. Trish

This is the MERUK announcement:

https://www.meresearch.org.uk/viruses-and-m-e-research-call/

Binkie4, MEMarge, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Binkie4, MEMarge, mango and 4 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Funding awarded: ELUCIDATE: Exploring pain and autonomic dysfunction in ME/CFS and temporomandibular disorders

"Mr James Allison is an oral surgeon at Newcastle University, and the aim of his study is to explore the contribution of the ANS to the painful symptoms experienced by people with ME/CFS and/or TMDs.

He will use electroencephalography (which measures the electrical activity of the brain non-invasively) to assess the brain’s response to painful pressure applied to the finger and jaw in four groups of people:

• Patients with ME/CFS only,
    • Patients with both ME/CFS and TMD,
    • Patients with TMD only, and
    • Healthy participants without ME/CFS or TMD.
    The idea is that these responses will help to determine how pain differs in ME/CFS and in other people. In addition, low-resolution brain electromagnetic tomography will be used to identify where in the brain these differences are located.

Another part of the study involves using non-invasive stimulation of the vagus nerve to potentially ‘calm’ the ANS, and to measure the effect this has on both brain activity and levels of pain."

https://www.meresearch.org.uk/research/elucidate/

This looks to follow on from Brain Responses in CFS and TMD to Autonomic Challenges: An Exploratory fMRI Study, 2019, Allison et al

8. Trish

I didn't know EEG was able to 'measure' pain. Is there evidence for this? If so, why use questionnaires?

Snowdrop, Wyva, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  9. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What has happened to measurements of brain activity? When I was an undergraduate over forty years ago there was such optimism about what might be possible. I remember the excitement when one of my lecturers identified his ‘yummy, yummy, I see a banana cells’, that was a small group of neurones in primates that responded to visual food stimuli only when hungry.

The animal studies were raising all sorts of interesting possibilities, though researchers were then struggling how to relate this research to humans. I remember failing to get a contemporary post doctoral researcher to understand that it was not appropriate to run elderly Alzheimer’s patients through life sized mazes for food rewards (it took his supervisor’s wife to persuade them that the resultant tabloid headlines would not be good publicity).

Trish likes this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Big Give Christmas Challenge 2021

"The Christmas Challenge is a match funding campaign where donations made during the event are doubled by matching them with monies already pledged by supporters. Additional funds can also come from a Big Give Champion which further increases the giving fund.

Big Give 2021 runs from noon 30th November 2021 – noon 7th December 2021

To be a part of the Christmas Challenge, we need to secure £1,000 in pledges. This can be from a single individual or ten supporters pledging £100 each. £100 is the minimum pledge permitted by The Big Give."

https://www.meresearch.org.uk/big-give-christmas-challenge-2021/

MEMarge, Trish, Dolphin and 1 other person like this.
  11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Funding announcement.

"Cell-type specificity, molecular scope and epigenetic basis for mitochondrial and cellular dysfunction in ME/CFS
    This is the main question that Dr Annesley hopes to answer in her new study, in which she will determine if these abnormalities in mitochondrial energy production are also present in fibroblasts, which are cells found in the skin. She will also evaluate whether the alterations correlate with the severity of ME/CFS.

In addition, the team will look at whether other cellular pathways are involved, and whether the persistence of these abnormalities is due to epigenetic changes (how specific genes are turned on or off).

A better understanding of mitochondrial dysfunction in ME/CFS may help in the development of diagnostic tests for the disease, and the identification of effective pharmacological treatments."

https://www.meresearch.org.uk/research/mitochondrial-and-cellular-dysfunction/

12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"Vacancies – Science Writer

ME Research UK is a research-focused charity with big ambitions to build upon success and we are seeking a full-time science writer who can help us make a positive difference in communicating ME/CFS at a very exciting time.

If your passion is making science and research accessible to a range of audiences and you relish the chance of working with a small team to build our future, we would love to hear from you."

https://www.meresearch.org.uk/vacancies/

16. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very surprised they need someone full-time for that position!

17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Binkie4, MEMarge, Missense and 7 others like this.
  18. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NelliePledge, Lilas, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Binkie4, MEMarge, Ali and 4 others like this.
  20. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Positive to see AFME and ME Research UK working closely on funding research in addition to joint advocacy through Forward ME.