1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: "Minister for loneliness appointed to continue Jo Cox's work"

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Seems to me that this could be an opportunity to raise the profile of those with severe ME, hopefully the better charities are able to engage with it.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42708507

2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I’m a bit grumpy today and cynical this is good in theory but I’m a bit concerned that she’s also minister for sport and will be all about getting people “active”. Definitely some education about people with severe ME will be needed.

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Breaking the isolation, a post by a mother of a child with severe ME.

Woolie, Trish, Indigophoton and 5 others like this.
  5. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Yes, I'm a bit worried about any government's motives for poking around in people's private lives with the aims of reducing healthcare costs. It so often ends up in intrusive constraints and edicts.

I think I can imagine a great episode of Black Mirror, where fat people are required to wear implants that impede their ability to view food adverts and to make purchases from food shops and restaurants. Or maybe it would give them a shock for attempting to do so? Oh, and regular, aversive reminders that they haven't done their day's exercise! You might have overdrinkers being similarly "treated". You can already visualise the tragic ending...

There was this crazy article in the BMJ the other day about how UK pubs should be required to reduce the standard size of a UK wine glass to encourage less wine consumption! Now, I know you brits like a drink or two, I'm not denying that. And its probably a threat to some people's health. But somehow I don't think its the pub wine glass size that's the problem. BMJ, can you not do better than that?