1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: Disabled mum who killed herself failed by benefits agency

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by John Mac, Feb 23, 2019.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not ME but still disturbing treatment of a disabled person.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-47332954

2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apologies really count for nothing in this situation. Given the DWP's own rules were breached, then whoever was responsible should be disciplined or, ideally, prosecuted. But probably won't. I'm afraid with the DWP I'm very cynical, and feel this is the tip of the iceberg. There will be so many many thousands more people in similar plights, and I doubt the DWP will change anything much if it can help it. When it says "the DWP was reviewing its procedures to ensure this doesn't happen again" I suspect it will be the getting caught they will strive to avoid repeating - I doubt there will be much improvement for benefit claimants.

3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And £10,000? That amount is just insulting in it's trivialisation. It'll be what one of the DWP bosses spends on a weekend break in a European city. The people who make these decisions need to be held to account, but they wont be because that's the shit pile we're living in. So angry.

Rest in peace Jodey
    my prayers are with the family & everyone else who's on the receiving end of the casual evil of DWP policy & behaviour

Sarah94, ukxmrv, Esther12 and 4 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maximus:

“We always review the capability for work questionnaire and any accompanying medical evidence to establish if a face-to-face assessment is required.

“This includes consideration of whether an individual is able to attend an assessment centre by public transport or taxi.”

BS
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/woman...vel-for-benefit-assessments-uk-petition.6460/

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. longtermcase

longtermcase Established Member

Many people have killed themselves because of PIP and ESA - probably will happen about UC too. I totally understand what it's like as I've been through the DWP mill since having to move from beloved DLA to evil PIP, it has very badly affected my physical and mental health and I was seriously planning suicide for several months. Having now lost out at Tribunal stage after such a long hard fight I totally empathise with anyone feeling like it's the end, because that's how I feel about it too. The struggle never ends... now it's another fight with ESA and the WCA... soon it will all change again when UC comes along. It's like a covert extermination program of the most vulnerable. Oh the happy stressfree days of DLA and IS!!

MEMarge, Sarah94, dangermouse and 3 others like this.
  8. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)