1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: Disability benefits (ESA and PIP) - news and updates up to end of 2020

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by Andy, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Barry, Trish and 2 others like this.
  2. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

DWP drops target for upholding benefit decisions

https://www.actionforme.org.uk/news/dwp-drops-target-for-upholding-benefit-decisions/

December 18, 2017

Sarah Newton MP, Minister for Disabled People, Health and Work, has announced that the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has dropped its target for 80% of benefit decisions to be upheld at the Mandatory Reconsideration stages.

The target applied to Personal Independence Payments (PIP) and Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and had been scrutinised since a Freedom of Information request earlier this year revealed the internal target.

What does this mean for people with M.E.?

If you have been assessed and want to challenge the DWP’s initial decision, you can request to have a Mandatory Reconsideration where the case is reviewed. The DWP’s internal target has meant that assessment providers have up to now been evaluated based on how many of these reviewed cases are upheld, and how many are overturned.

(The rest is at the link)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2021
    ladycatlover, Esther12, Barry and 8 others like this.
  3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Clarifying they have dropped their 80% target does not necessarily mean they no longer have a numerical target at all. I know the statement seems to suggest they no longer have one, but do we know for sure they have not replaced it with, say, a 65% target for instance? I'm just a cynic :rolleyes:.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42862904

Now why am I suspicious about how many will be down-graded in what they receive?

5. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just heard this ...mixed feelings. Good that the scam of fake assessments have been treated as discriminatory, frustrated and angry at the mismanagement for all the people who have to go through the whole ordeal again.

Best wishes to all who are affected. I hope it ends up being a good thing in the end. (Ever the optimist)

6. arewenearlythereyet

Just heard on news night that the government says that they will back date any claims that have been found to be wrongly assessed after reassessment for mobility allowance.

Indigophoton, Jan, MeSci and 8 others like this.
  7. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't help but wonder how honest this review will be, will it be the same as the seriously ill/disabled people won't be subject to repeat assessments lie?

Or will every one of these 1.6 million people be called in, for another medical, or will it be paper based only, relying primarily on "flawed" "medical" assessments?

It's unlikely to affect me, as I don't actually recieve PIP, hopefully yet, due to another part of the system being "flawed"

So many questions, so much......(fill in your own word as seems appropriate) :banghead::banghead:

Indigophoton, Jan, Arnie Pye and 6 others like this.
  8. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Awfully nice of them to comply with the law. :p

Basically, in order to comply with the law, they are having to search through everyone who had a possibility of being discriminated against.

If they used the opportunity to downgrade any award, it would not withstand a challenge, as the only 'new information' is that they were discriminating against people and breaking the law.

They are not allowed to just arbitrarily downgrade without reason in law.

When they say claims are being 'reviewed' I suspect that they mean databases are being searched to find claims the discrimination applies to. They couldn't afford the expense to actually re-interview people involved, there are too many.

Even if they wanted to assess everyone face to face, I suspect that the assessment contractors contracts do not include this situation, so the DWP would be liable for paying extra. The bill for the extra assessments, plus the backdated awards would probably be in in excess of £10 billion, not to mention the chaos of the waiting lists that would be generated.

My cautious assessment: a turd too big and smelly to hide. (and un-polishable) :p

Indigophoton, Jan, MeSci and 6 others like this.
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

From what I've heard, the specific change is that people with mental health problems that mean they need to be accompanied by a helper when they go out were not being allowed the higher rate mobility allowance, and it's now been decided that they should get it. Presumably that's what they will be reassessing, so it may not affect pwme unless we also have that particular need and have justified it on mental health grounds.

10. arewenearlythereyet

I read it as broader than that in terms of every claim being reassessed. I take that as an opportunity for the claiment to put pressure on other unfair assessments not just mental health ones. Whether that pressure becomes a reality remains to be seen ...but a third round of reassessment for other invisible illnesses will be embarrassing for the government given the money that's already been wasted on the first and second ones ...so there may be a chance if people have the energy to push it back that other conditions will be considered.

The headline for me is 'unfair assessments contrived to deliberately withold benefits To save money' not mental health pe se. This calls out the governments hypocrisy and shines a light on the reality of what they call "a country that works for everyone" or their commitment to "fight social injustice".

The fact that it's been a massive U turn with no quibble about the court ruling means that it is a good opportunity for claiment to push back while the iron is hot (just my opinion). I can just hear the commons debate now about fake austerity measures and outsourced assessments that just waste money on beurocratic superficial policy?

11. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So they were wrong, and acting illegally, and have acknowledged this, but they aren't going to backdate anything to beyond the date they were told, by a high court, they were acting illegally. So no ethics, or morals.

13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.c...-out-in-huge-review-of-1-6-million-pip-cases/

14. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Crikey, I predicted something involving the law and the DWP correctly? Maybe I'm more evil than I think.

I hope something is done about the knock on effects, as the people discriminated against in the PIP claims were affected by claims for blue badges, discretionary help, etc.

As PIP is not an out of work benefit this had a terrible effect on people who relied on the extra income to continue in work. What is going to be done about people who lost their jobs because of this discrimination?

It also seemed to have a massive toll among people with autism, as they were deemed 'physically' able to use crowded public transport.

15. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Article by Steve Topple in The Canary

The DWP is in court again and it could open the floodgates for countless disabled people.

Link for the rest:

https://www.thecanary.co/uk/analysi...the-floodgates-for-countless-disabled-people/

Interesting and I hope Donaldson is succesful!

janice, Andy, alktipping and 20 others like this.
  16. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I doubt this is a slam dunk case.

18. Joel

Joel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

hope he wins but hard to tell how strong his case is without knowing the details.

19. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The DWP is a slippery beast and will have very good lawyers. They have lost before though. And the UN agrees with the claimant, who is a lawyer. let's hope he's got good legal contacts.
    It would be great if this was properly reported in the mainstream press.

I bet if the DWP lose they will try and change the law in some way to minimise claims against them.

20. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

shame he did not ad a claim for damages regarding stress and aggravation of his condition . if one disabled person could succeed in such a case they really would have to change their ruthless assault on the chronically ill .

MEMarge, Trish and Allele like this.