1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: Abuse by paid and unpaid carers covered in new domestic abuse bill

Discussion in 'General disability topics and advocacy' started by Simbindi, Mar 13, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.c...ctory-over-government-on-domestic-abuse-bill/

JaneL, Louie41, alktipping and 12 others like this.
  2. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The problem with this is that, when somebody with Very Severe ME (or even just Severe) is bring abused, they can't just be taken to a refuge. Sadly I have seen a lot of this in severe ME groups. People stay with partners/relatives who are abusing them, because moving out would be worse for their health, and/or because they have nobody else who would look after them.

Hutan, Mariaba, Louie41 and 12 others like this.
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My heart really goes out to people who are stuck in these abusive situations.

Sarah94, Louie41, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can imagine some of them are not well enough to even be able to reach out and seek help. If not well enough without assistance and when the only assistant you have is the person abusing you.....

Sarah94, Louie41, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  5. Simbindi

I made the post to highlight the amendments to the bill will include paid carers, unpaid carers and neighbours. This will mean that abuse from a paid carer would become a well defined criminal offence, which may deter 'casual abuse' from those who think their behaviour is acceptable.

Hutan, Sarah94, Louie41 and 7 others like this.
  6. Simbindi

Of course, this is an issue that requires much more than a single parliamentary bill to solve. It requires wholescale social change, suitable housing and a functional social care system. Beyond that there are the personal and emotional issues too.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    Sarah94, Amw66, Louie41 and 7 others like this.
  7. Simbindi

I understand this, I was in that situation as a parent with two young children for many years.

Sarah94, Mariaba, Louie41 and 7 others like this.