1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 16th November 2020 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, NICE have published their draft guideline for ME/CFS, click here to read about it.
    Dismiss Notice

Two allocations from The Norwegian ME Association to research

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Kalliope, May 11, 2018.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Norwegian ME Association celebrates 12th of May by allocating funds for two research projects into ME.

The research group for ME/CFS at the cancer ward at Haukeland university hospital (prof. Olav Mella and MD Øystein Fluge) and the institute of Biomedicine at Bergen university (prof. Karl J. Tronstad) receive 250 000 NOK (31 000 USD, 23 000 GBP, 26 000 Euro) for a study on analysis on material from their biobank in order to look for possible biomarkers and to strengthen the foundation for a clinical study - a randomised, double blind, placebo controlled study on cyclophosphamide versus placebo.

Child neurologist professor Kristian Sommerfelt will receive 50 000 NOK (6 000 USD, 4 600 GBP, 5 000 Euro) for a prospective study on course and longterm prognosis for children and adolescents with ME.

Announcement from the ME Association: Tildeling av forskningsmidler fra ME-forskning 12. mai 2018
    Google translation: Allocation of research funds from ME-research 12th May 2018

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  2. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The money for Haukeland (Fluge) will be used for:
    And Sommerfeldt:

3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is certainly good news. I am glad some attention is being given to adolescents with this illness too (I was 15 when I first became ill).

But just one question, how exactly do you do a placebo controlled study of cyclophosphamide? Does the placebo also cause nausea etc? Otherwise it's obvious what you are taking...

4. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have no idea. They are very clever people though, I'm sure they will figure something out.