1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial By Error: My Six-Month Review

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

New blog post from David Tuller:
    Trial By Error: My Six-Month Review

Given the amount of reporting still left to be done, I will be deciding in the next couple of months whether to conduct another crowdfunding campaign to support another year of work after June 30th.

:woot:

Wonko, ahimsa, ScottTriGuy and 25 others like this.
  2. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Very promising things to come! (Links between PACE trialists and insurance companies, he met one person who was on the PACE trial, two people who were in the Royal Free Hospital outbreak...)

3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Now that's interesting ...

4. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

...and isn't this what most people, okay I don't know most peoples views, not even most pwME, so, some people, have been saying, for quite a while = ot certainly matches my experience

5. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:banghead: :devilish: :wtf: What on earth motivates this level of disdain and hatred? I feel sick reading this.

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He is doing some well researched and hard hitting analysis. This is something we definitely needed and need much more of. Where i would go next is getting it published in wider read venues, newspapers, scientific journals and other venues to reach larger audiences. Can someone pass this idea on to David?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Viola, Allele, Skycloud and 5 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I too would love to see David getting more published in more widely read publications, like newspapers and scientific journals. I'm sure he's well aware of this, but getting published is very difficult. He has had a few successes. And his researches provides material that any of the rest of us can use to support articles we might write ourselves, or refer journalists to for their articles.

bobbler, MEMarge, Dolphin and 13 others like this.
  9. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fair enough, so the question becomes how can we make it happen, do we need to hire/find more people who specialize in writing for the venues we seek, how can we use his investigations to get retractions of flawed published material, how do we get newspapers to do more investigations/articles based on these findings?

10. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I have my wallet open and am ready to peel off a crisp banknote.

bobbler, BurnA, MEMarge and 15 others like this.
  11. Barry

When the time is right (not sure when that is) I'd love to see him turn over some stones re the SMC and the BBC's investigative servile reporting.

bobbler, BurnA, MEMarge and 11 others like this.
  12. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tuller is so gifted in the realm of reporting in great, accurate technical detail, which is something we have desperately needed.

But this is not what it is wanted in most mainstream outlets. Few people are interested in such detail, and even fewer in detail about
    this topic.

But the way his work is informing journalists like Nathalie is the gift that keeps giving. So either he eventually distills his work into a multi-page-spread MSM blow-out, or he keeps providing this excellent foundation for others to bring it to a wider audience.

Either way he is a goddam hero. I can't wait to throw more money at him.

ETA: On second thought it's not an either/or, it could be a both/and. Thank you David!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  13. Barry

Agreed. Quite a lot of very media-savvy people now in different yet complementary advocacy roles, that they each excel in. Hopefully there are more waiting in the wings. If the advocacy pressure continues to increase, and broaden the demographic it reaches, then hopefully things will start to improve.

Indigophoton, Solstice, Gecko and 5 others like this.
  14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To be sure, I'm trying to find out when the first crowdfunding campaign began. From what I found it was in Summer 2017. The 1st post on the blog is from June 2017. Is that correct?

Not that I think he will shut up about it but there's this dude who keeps pretending that Tuller being funded in 2017 is a conflict of interest that, somehow, influenced writings all the way back to 2011 and, mostly, 2015. Unless he used that money to build a time machine. Which is a fair thing to consider when the basis for their ideology is that it simply has to be possible to be absolutely certain.

Although to be fair, it's not like violating the linear passage of time is a problem to BPS ideologues, it's their bread-and-butter.

Hutan, bobbler, Barry and 5 others like this.
  15. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They confuse cause and effect all the time, which implies they don't understand the way the arrow points. So, with that mindset, time travel, not just easy, but virtually impossible not to do inadvertently.

Hutan, bobbler, Barry and 6 others like this.
  16. Barry

It's like asserting that the lawyer you hire to argue your case in court has a conflict of interest. But that lawyer is simply being paid to best argue your case for you, because they are appropriately skilled to do so. If this all went to court and the BSP crowd were on the wrong end of some litigation, would they then argue that the prosecution lawyer had a conflict of interest, simply because they were being paid for their expert services? The lawyer essentially marshals cogent arguments to support a case, and the other side are fully at liberty to provide there own cogent arguments to the contrary.

@dave30th essentially does much the same for PwME, presenting immensely cogent, unbiased and accurate arguments on our behalf, and being remunerated via crowd funding. The fact the other side have no ability to provide there own cogent arguments in their defence is their problem, no one else's, and is for one very simple reason - they have none! All they can come up with in return is bluff and bluster, including erroneous accusation about conflicts of interest.

For a conflict of interest to hold water it would have to be shown that David's work is untruthful due to bias from that conflict of interest. But there are no untruths, just hard hitting truths.

Peter Trewhitt, EzzieD, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  17. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If NOT making money out of running BPS research and ‘treatments’ and ‘advisory’ etc means a conflict of interest in their backwards world ?

they might want to look up the definition of what financial interests and the conflicts that should be being declared are defined as and note that just because someone isn’t jumping to these doesn’t mean THEY are conflicted. It’s classic whoever smelt it dealt it tactic really backwards non-logic.

Peter Trewhitt, Sean and rvallee like this.