1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Transgenerational violence and immunological deficits, a psychosomatic hypothesis, 2022, Papazian

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by CRG, Apr 21, 2022.

1. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

International Journal of Psychoanalysis, Transgenerational violence and immunological deficits, a psychosomatic hypothesis, 2022, Papazian

Abstract

This essay relies on the somatising identification mechanism, conceived to account for the delayed effects of projective identifications on the body, in this case by immunodeficiency. Three clinical cases with a similar dynamic will lead the author to deduce the mechanisms at work in the double operation of transduction from the psychic to the somatic, and transmission from one generation to the next. In each case, borderline mothers have suffered from their father's lack of interest and seem to be using their daughter to take revenge narcissistically. Defenceless, the latter grow in a state of resignation and it is their own daughters who become sometimes bubble babies, sometimes neutropenic or who develops juvenile arthritis. The initial obstacle to oedipal structuring appears as the trigger of these transgenerational pathologies whose somatic outcome would be the return of a denied symbolic castration. Destructive aggression is the common thread that most likely involves epigenetic modifications. To comprehend this type of alteration happening at the passage from psychic to somatic, a splitting of the primordial self is postulated at the undifferentiated level of the protomental. It is from this originary intersection, contained in a pre-object transitionality, that psychic and somatic paths are initiated. Bion and de M'Uzan serve as main references, as well as Anzieu and Green.

Paywalled: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35440268/

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  2. CRG

This journal was originally created by Sigmund Freud in 1920 - that it's still going 102 years later and still publishing anti scientific patient blaming is I suppose some kind of testament to the resilience of Freudianism in the face science, logic and er ... common humanity ?

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But psychiatry has totally moved on from Freud, uh?
    Totally.

Ariel, Hutan, Art Vandelay and 2 others like this.
  4. CRG

Most Psychoanalysts practice privately, there are (maybe ?) some countries where psychoanalysis is still part of medical school education but mostly it has been sidelined and is something that is only pursued post medical school. There are still Freudians trying to influence modern psychiatry but it's difficult to assess what their impact is. Lewis Wolpert led a very public denunciation of psychoanalysis in 2009: There is no place for the psychoanalytic case report in the British Journal of Psychiatry full text.pdf Unpaywall

A more recent 'friendly' critique Is Psychoanalysis Still Relevant to Psychiatry ? seems to fairly well set out the current situation in most developed countries, this article was followed by a weak (and tedious) defence Contemporary Psychiatry, Psychoanalysis, and Psychotherapy based largely on setting psychoanalysis in bio-psycho model and and appealing to history. Interestingly both these papers are from Canadian authors so maybe indicative of a 'little local difficulty'.

Sean, Ariel, Lilas and 2 others like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

That is the Transgenerational Violence.

what a terrible term

NelliePledge, Sean, Lou B Lou and 8 others like this.
  6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Borderline in what? Ability to speak French? Musical ability? Artistic ability?

Taking revenge on who? The daughters? Their mothers? Their next door neighbour? And who is being blamed for the fathers being narcissistic? Let me guess... the father's mother.

This is dreadful prose.

Sean and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The only part of Freudian theory they missed out is an in depth investigation of potty training methods. I suspect bribery and corruption from the manufacturers of disposable nappies.

8. glennthefrog

glennthefrog Established Member (Voting Rights)

Sadly, I live in one of those countries (Argentina) where Psychoanalisis reigns supreme and is basically the ONLY thing being taught in Psychology institutions. We have hundreds of thousands of psychoanalysts in a 44 million people country. Thanks to psychoanlisis and it's "somatization" concept, most people here is convinced that most physical symptoms originate on the mind, which contributes to the fact that almost nobody here has a ME diagnosis. If psychoanalysis is going to be finally eradicated from the face of the earth, the purge should start here, in Latin America, as this is the reservoir from which this cancer keeps coming back. Remember, friends, Latin America might be extremely underdeveloped, but it has a total population of 650.000 inhabitants, an thus it has some influence in world affairs

Sean, Lou B Lou, JemPD and 11 others like this.
  9. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had understood transgenerational violence related to situations of historical conflict, for example in Northern Ireland where people are still dealing with the personal and societal consequences of such as the sectarian killings of their parents or their grandparents. It had struck me as a potentially useful concept in such situations, something that still needed to be considered in healing communities and ensuring an ongoing peace process. It has been something I am thinking in relation to Ukraine, in that how many generations will it take to heal the relationship between Ukrainians and Russia?

However, using historic trauma relating to the purely personal life of one’s parents or grandparents as a precipitating factor in individuals’ current health issues through an undefined and perhaps undefinable psychogenic mechanism, given the impossibility of objectively defining personal trauma and the virtual impossibility of constructing prospective studies of the impact of individuals’ own trauma, can never be subject to meaningful scientific study. Like psychoanalysis as a whole this is not science but an intersection between literature and religion.

Mithriel, NelliePledge, Sean and 4 others like this.
  10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did this edition come out on the 1st of the month? Sigh, its sad if it isn't intended to be funny.

Sean, Trish, Peter Trewhitt and 4 others like this.
  11. Lilas

Lilas Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Despite its "friendly" view, I also found this article nevertheless enlightening on the current situation of psychoanalysis :

For info, in my Province in Canada, the great majority of psychologists (the only ones having the right to practice psychotherapy*) are not psychoanalysts. And here, the more modern way of naming this current is "psychodynamics". In fact, to my knowledge, many psychologists use various currents of psychology, and jointly, such: humanist-exsitentiel, cbt-tcc, psychodynamics. For example, a psychotherapist with a humanistic-existential bent may well use cbt to help a client with anxiety. The principle behind this motivation is simply that no current theory alone is able to help understand every human being. Each theory is seen more as a tool at their disposal, than an act of faith if I may say so. Obviously, this does not prevent maintaining all kinds of beliefs related to these theories... ;)

* certain exceptions

glennthefrog, CRG, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

A good as explanation as any offered by the psychoanalysts.