1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

TheMindMapUK: Belle and Sebastian - Stuart Murdoch - Going Through The Emotions

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just spotted this on Facebook. I have a problem downloading the article. Might be due to much traffic perhaps..

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think saying it's an article about how having ME affected his mental health is misleading. It sounds to me from the interview as if he has and always did have excellent mental health. What he talks about more is the affects of being ill on his view of himself, his place in the world, the constraints having a physical illness places on what he is able to do, and what he values and what he does to keep himself feeling good about himself and his life.

alktipping, Tia, Lisa108 and 9 others like this.
  3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What a wise guy. I particularly liked this part:

I figure now that it’s up to me to help when I can, to try to elucidate the position, and to be part of the search for a diagnosis and cure. It might be the most important thing I ever do.

4. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I love him! He seems like a really good person. I can really identify with the way he talks about Buddhism. Also, love his playlist... that Nina Simone song!

My fav bit:

What advice do you offer to friends when they are feeling overwhelmed?

Sometimes when people are truly overwhelmed, I’m likely to tell them anything they want to hear. It’s not the best time to challenge them with Buddhist wisdom.

When I come back from my class and my wife has just put the kids to bed and is knackered on the sofa and I try to tell her something I learned that night, she often says

“Don’t give me the Bhudda..”

I usually go get her a beer instead.