1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Times reports ‘GPs give rest cure its marching orders’.

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Daisybell, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...-give-rest-cure-its-marching-orders-792w52z38

Under the NHS-wide Moving Medicine project, due to begin on September 10, GPs, nurses and other health professional will be given scripts to help them persuade patients to change their behaviour.

The programme gives detailed guidance for 10 long-term conditions, such as diabetes, stroke, vascular heart disease, depression, dementia, arthritis and muscular-skeletal pain. Other patients will also be given advice.

Doctors will be given scripts for discussion, ranging from 30 seconds at the end of a consultation to a 20-minute session. Advice will deal with complaints from patients such as: “I already feel tired, and you want me to do more.” The suggested reply is: “Becoming more active is the most important treatment for persistent fatigue.”

Dr Natasha Jones, vice-president of the Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine, which has put together the programme, said: “The societal belief is that if you have pain, you should rest, if you are fatigued, you should stop. People who are ill are constantly told that by their relatives, their doctors, their nurses. You walk into hospital and they put you into bed. You walk into a surgery and they ask you to sit down.

“For the vast majority of patients it is safer to exercise than to sit on the sofa.”

Many doctors are reluctant to advise patients on exercise, either because they fear they may offend them by raising the subject or because the patient may overdo it, she said. Few learnt about suitable exercises during their medical training.

2. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

More of the same out of the UK.

3. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Health Promotion becomes Harm Promotion.

4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How are you going to get someone with dementia to exercise? They might not even understand the concept.

5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

A remake of Trudy and Clare’s masterpiece

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Likely to wander off and get lost

7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Anybody still doubt the profoundly pathological influence of PACE on the whole medical system in the UK?

JaimeS, rvallee, MarcNotMark and 14 others like this.
  8. Lisa108

Lisa108 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How is this a societal belief? What did happen to the scientific fact of pain being an alarm signal? And why do the NHS people do not share this belief, as they do not stand outside society? Or do they think so?

Now this is a BPS-belief, but I'm not sure if it is scientifically proven. (I'd bet anti-inflammatory treatment would be no. 1.)

9. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think a lot of my relatives, friends and neighbours missed the memo on the 'societal belief'.

Where is the evidence that exercise is good for everyone with pain or fatigue? Millennia of evolution have developed the pain system and a sense of being tired/fatigued/exhausted for good reasons. To tell people to disregard these sensations without clear evidence or guidelines of when to do so is irresponsible; to issue blanket advice when for some there is evidence that this is harmful is gross professional misconduct.

10. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So would such advice to the small minority be negligent?

12. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

....but it's been reported, both recently and for several years, that the most important predictor of health and lifespan is income. People with more money tend, on average, to live longer and be healthier whilst doing so. The effect is significant.

So the best way to improve health, and quality of life, is clear and simple, give everyone more money and all the trappings of more money, not a prescription of exercise.

13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I can't read the whole article (I refuse to pay money to The Times) - does it specify all 10 conditions included, and does it give any exceptions where exercise should not be recommended? And is there a link to any official NHS information?

14. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like the idea of moving medicine.

See this and weep.

15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I've tried searching for further information and there seems to be a curious lack of anything else. There isn't even really anything at all on the Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine website, when you would have thought they would be making a big noise about it.

JaimeS, andypants, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  16. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

These people really need to be removed from their positions of influencing policy making in the health service ....so we have Jamie Oliver (an ill educated hypocritical chef who doesn’t understand science or how to run a business) dictating health policy and some sports teacher joining in?

Don’t they realise that the teachers who couldn’t cut it teach sports?

17. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.fsem.ac.uk/standards-publications/publications/

Left side - 'A Fresh Approach' and the links underneath.

18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

OK, thanks. I would have expected any organisation to want to make more of the publicity from this, perhaps these people are the exception to the rule.

19. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2015 law Duty of Candour?

20. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Their website is under construction, so maybe they're lazy :D

Invisible Woman and Andy like this.