1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The New Jersey Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Association’s (NJME/CFSA’s) Medical Scholar Program

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Tom Kindlon, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wasn't sure where to post this.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/mecfs-healthcare-provider-education-ken-friedman/

ME/CFS Healthcare Provider Education
    [​IMG]

Ken Friedman
    --
    5 articles
    March 17, 2023

The New Jersey Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Association’s (NJME/CFSA’s) Medical Scholar Program has been renamed the Rosemary Underhill Medical Scholar Program in honor of Dr. Rosemary Underhill, ME/CFS patient, physician, researcher, and Board Member of NJME/CFSA. As a medical student she witnessed the outbreak of the "Royal Free Disease," now thought to be related to ME/CFS, at the Royal Free Hospital in London in the 1950s. While many colleagues attempted to dismiss the disease as being psychosomatic, she pursued scientific knowledge and an accurate portrayal of ME/CFS in the medical literature, publishing her last article just months before she passed away. Dr. Underhill supported ME/CFS medical education by participating in the writing of questions for this Medical Scholar Program and serving as a judge of the applications submitted until the time of her passing in 2021.

Those wishing to honor the memory of Dr. Underhill by contributing to her work in the Medical Scholar Program may do so making a donation to the Program via the NJME/CFSA website (https://www.njmecfsa.org/page/2/) , or mailing a donation to the organization (NJME/CFSA, P.O. Box 477, Florham Park, NJ 07932). Increased support of this program will provide incentive for nascent healthcare providers to educate themselves about ME/CFS as we increase the number of scholarships we award yearly.

About the Program:

· The Dr. Rosemary Underhill Medical Scholar Program encourages students of the health professions to educate themselves concerning ME/CFS and other, related, chronic illnesses..

· It is open to all students studying in the health professions (medical, physician assistant, and nurse practitioner students) in New Jersey, and is open to all New Jersey state residents studying the health professions anywhere.

· It is open to individuals receiving post-health degree training at an academic institution if they are training in New Jersey or are a New Jersey state resident.

· Proof of enrollment or participation in an eligible program must be demonstrated for the academic year of applicaton.

· Previous recipients of this award are ineligible for the award, but previous applicants, who have not received the award, are eligible to reapply.

· Applicants must complete the application and write a scholarly paper supported by a Powerpoint presentation on the assigned topic for the given academic year.

· Usually, one award is made, and is selected by a Judging Committee which views blinded applications.

· The current monetary award is $5,000. If the recipient is paying tuition for, the recipient will receive a $5,000 tuition reimbursement that will be applied toward the tuition of the academic year. If the recipient is in a qualifying training program but is not paying tuition, a direct payment will be made to the recipient with the understanding that the funds will be used to defray former educational expenses.