1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The gut microbiome regulates host glucose homeostasis via peripheral serotonin, 2019, Martin et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

In mice.
    Open access at https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2019/09/10/1909311116

2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very interesting . Just had GI map test done which is flagging up some issues in gut.
    Eta
    Interestingly estrogen is being flagged up which shares/ influences seratonin signalling.

3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i had problems with hypoglycaemia for years. it was very frustrating as it cut in when i felt able to do something. Well enough to take the kids for school clothes, yay but by ten to twelve I hardly knew where i was. I was assured this was anxiety but I am now diabetic (which I think is related myself) and now I have a machine which shows my blood sugar really is low when I fell the way I did then.

Workwell says this is part of the problems of homeostatsis we have and with watching how my blood sugars go now I realise that my liver is slow to release glucose when I need it.

Anyway, we had a local doctor who said that ME was made worse by problems with REM sleep and that can be helped by prozac. I was at the try anything stage, this was in the 90s so I got it from my GP. It did nothing for my ME, surprise.

But... it helped the hypos! Strangely, I would manage that half an hour so i could have lunch at a decent time but when i did feel it I became bad very quickly, it was like it masked the symptoms but when it stopped i was where i would have been at that time.

My GP told me I had a phobia (of 12 o'clock???) and the prozac was making me less anxious as there was not possible biological reason for it to help hypoglycaemia (which she did not believe i had anyway)

Now it is all making sense, oh and the highish blood sugars of diabetes mean I do not have the same problem, though not going out much probably helps too!