1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grace Charity for M.E.: Letter from NHS Digital (Data Co-Ordination Board)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Eagles, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

See also:

Copy available on my site here:

https://dxrevisionwatch.files.wordpress.com/2019/10/national_coding_standards_2018.pdf

NHS Digital National Clinical Coding Standards ICD-10 5th Edition (2018)

Accurate data for quality information

Terminology and Classifications Delivery Service

Page 84:

"Caution is required when ‘fatigue syndrome’ is used as a diagnosis within the medical record. The Alphabetical Index takes the coder to F48.0 Neurasthenia which includes fatigue syndrome. However many patients actually have chronic fatigue syndrome, which is an alternative name for the postviral fatigue syndrome or myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME). Chronic fatigue syndrome is coded to G93.3 Postviral fatigue syndrome. Coders should therefore clarify the nature of the fatigue with the responsible consultant before assigning a code."

[​IMG]

Edited to insert link for PDF:

Copy available on my site here:

https://dxrevisionwatch.files.wordpress.com/2019/10/national_coding_standards_2018.pdf

(The 2019 edition doesn't appear to be a public domain document yet but it can be downloaded by those with password access to NHS Digital's Delen platform.)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But in practice it is strictly treated as a mental health disorder of trivial consequences, a temporary slight that can be fixed with happy thoughts because "there is no disease". Not just "there is no neurological disease" but "there is no disease at all".

It does not matter what the words say if practice directly and explicitly contradicts them. This is dereliction of duty. Experts are allowed their opinions, not their own facts. There are actual legal obligations involved with being in a position of authority and those are being willfully ignored.

So that is the question that needs to be pressed, of why are they pretending to follow the rules but clearly violating them?

DokaGirl, alktipping, Amw66 and 4 others like this.