1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The effect of evening primrose oil on fatigue and quality of life in patients with multiple sclerosis

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Jaybee00, May 24, 2019.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The ME doctor I saw in 1992 recommended Efamol for his patients, so I took it for over a year with no positive or negative effects.

DokaGirl, Jaybee00 and Wonko like this.
  3. Jaybee00

4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Early on Efamol was really recommended. I think Dr. Peter Behan had some success with this - could just be my ME memory though. I've tried it off and on. Didn't notice anything. Someone I knew with Fibro tried it, and they said it made them feel very angry.

Mij likes this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Evening primrose oil can help for some at low doses for short periods. It can also harm. Its a tricky thing to get the dose right over time. I spent years trying to optimise it, but gave up, back in the mid 90s. It will increase cell deformability, but has many hormonal effects too, including inflammatory. Omega 3 fats and monounsaturated fats will also have an impact on cell membrane deformability.

These days I am more in favour of monounsaturated fats, due to them not being used to make inflammatory hormones, but its tricky if you are salicylate intolerant as most sources are high in salicylates, and most of the rest are moderate. Omega-3 fats in moderation are another choice, but I am still careful. Contrary to popular science they are inflammatory for the most part.

The reason they appear anti-inflammatory is that the body will use them over omega-6s, but the 6s are much more inflammatory. There are also anti-inflammatory pathways, but we don't have a means to fine tune them. These polyunsaturated fats lead to dozens if not hundreds of hormones.

Research on this was done in Australia in the early 90s, but most was not published. I was one of the guinea pigs, and pioneered very high dose omega 3.

6. Jaybee00

thanks.

Is a lot or a little? (from above study)

The experimental group: Patients were asked to take 1 g oral capsule containing EPO every 12 hours for 3 months in addition to the standard treatment for their disease.

7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very interesting! I had a friend with FM who also told me the same thing! She suffered from depression.

8. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I was first diagnosed with ME/CFS a ND recommended that I take EPO, however, I never noticed any difference good or bad.

Mij likes this.
  9. ProudActivist

ProudActivist Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It helps with my hormone-related breast pain and lumps, but no idea if it helps anything else.

TigerLilea likes this.