1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Comeback Study: fecal microbiota transplant for ME/CFS

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Hoopoe, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Study details were amended in February this year. History of changes can be seen here, https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/history/NCT03691987?A=1&B=2&C=merged#StudyPageTop, the headline change is, as mentioned above, they have removed Chalder Fatigue Scale.

From IiME newsletter

2. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This just shows how ridiculous the BPS approach is. A trial of CBT for MS resulted in fatigued MS patients REPORTING less fatigue than healthy controls. Honestly :banghead::banghead:

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That combined with the positive self-reported results from the Rituximab trial makes it clear that subjective outcomes should be entirely eliminated as primary outcomes. Secondary? Sure, indicative of something possible, at best. But as primary outcomes? Might as well be doing particle physics using a hot-hotter-very hot-maximal hotness temperature scale.

I'm fine with secondary subjective outcomes. They mean almost nothing but you can still get some information out of them, mostly in how they align with objective primary outcomes. But there has to be a way to move for the complete elimination of subjective primary outcomes in medical research, it's completely corrupting the value of all medical research by making comparisons that may as well be apples to Roentgens.

4. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Update from the Comeback Study, a trial on ME and fecal transplantation at the University Hospital of North Norway

(hastily translated by me)

Hi. A small update from the research group behind the Comeback Study. First of all we'd like to say thank you for the allocation from the Norwegian ME Association to the study. This is a great help in the further work with the study, both when it comes to progression and to make the most of the potential in the material which will be collected. As of today the study has included about 1/3 of its participants. This means there's still a chance to report your interest in participating in the study. We ask that you only give your contact info (telephone number, e-mail address and mail address) and no sensitive information. When it comes to the recruiting process there are several matters that must be taken into consideration when it comes to financial aspects for the project and feasibility for the participants, in addition to some given criteria for participation. We try to give direct response to everyone who are interested in joining, but ask for your understanding that this may take some time. If you don't hear from us and are still interested in participation, please send a new notice. Regards, the research group :)

sebaaa, Peter Trewhitt, Joh and 6 others like this.
  5. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

An update from the team behind the comeback study on fecal transplantation is that they have ended recruitment of patients, and that in a year's time results from the participants will be unblinded and results looked at :)

TigerLilea, RedFox, sebaaa and 9 others like this.
  6. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A medical newspaper has an article about the ongoing clinical trial on fecal transplantation and ME; The Comeback Study.

No revealings regarding results, but researcher Linn Skjevling says it's been challenging for ME patients to travel to them for treatment, and that patients have put in a lot of work in order to make it happen.

Dagens Medisin: Håper på svar om link mellom tarmflora og sykdomsaktivitet
    google translation: Hoping for answers about the link between gut flora and disease activity

quote:
    - There has been more focus on this with intestinal flora and various diseases in the last ten years. There has been much more information about this connection that many have probably heard about and thus they are excited about whether it can have an effect.

According to Skjevling, what makes the study exciting is that they start at the opposite end.

- Studies have been carried out in other countries that look at the intestinal flora in those who have ME compared with healthy controls, while we have looked at whether you get healthier by adding new intestinal flora.

7. Midnattsol

Update from the team today on their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thecomebackstudy

"Hi,
    An update from us:
    We have now ended the clinical part of the study, and going forward the focus will be on analysis and interpretation of the data. We unfortunately don't have an exact date for when we will unblind the study, but we will post information as soon as we know. Everyone who has participated will be contacted directly by the team as soon as the study is unblinded.

We thank you for the patience and hope we soon can return with a new message :D

Kind regards,
    The research team in The Comeback Study"

Sean, Robert 1973, TigerLilea and 8 others like this.
  8. Midnattsol

Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  9. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looking forward to the results. Can we please have a positive trial, but I'm preparing myself for the worst...

TigerLilea, shak8, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  10. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know of someone who got a FMT and that landed them in ICU with sepsis, so I am concerned about this trial.

Sean, Binkie4, Grigor and 1 other person like this.
  11. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yikes, but then again. Any treatment can have dire outcomes for some people. Let's hope it's not the case for the majority.

Peter Trewhitt, TigerLilea and RedFox like this.
  12. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the gut and other areas of microbiome problems have been caused by an immune reaction and it has seized the microbiota changing it permanently. It can't return to the original composition. I can't see how transplant will turn things around except for very temporarily. The microbiome will keep returning to the faulty composition because the programme has been changed permanently by the immune system. But in saying that I hope they will find leads.

I know immunology has MAIT states of muscoa: For those of us with altered microbiome I wonder if we have got a type of this without other of the usual symptoms that go with reactive arthritis.

RedFox and Peter Trewhitt like this.