1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Canary: A DWP-backed ‘medical scandal’ could be blown wide open

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Eagles, May 11, 2019.

1. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Canary: A DWP-backed ‘medical scandal’ could be blown wide open

https://www.thecanary.co/uk/analysi...ked-medical-scandal-could-be-blown-wide-open/

Steve Topple

11th May 2019

A contentious Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) funded medical research project – described by an MP as possibly “one of the biggest medical scandals of the 21st century” – is close to being blown wide open. Because a call for a public inquiry into it is now getting the support of numerous MPs.

The DWP and the PACE trial

The PACE trial was a controversial research project. It looked into treatment for people living with myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME). You can read Canary articles on the disease here. The PACE trial claimed that patients could improve their illnesses, and sometimes recover, by having cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and by using graded exercise therapy (GET)…

Lidia, Dolphin, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A doctor is now involved...

Rather a lot of doctors have been involved for quite a long time. I am afraid that pinning hopes on Sarah Myhill with a flying cape makes the piece fall flat on its face.

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks to @Mr Topple (assuming this is Steve) for all the work he has done trying to draw attention to the problems around PACE. It's really great to have someone raising this topic with an audience that wouldn't have otherwise even heard of it.

I share Edwards' concern that a focus on Myhill is unlikely to be the best idea. To challenge the UK medical Establishment on the quality of science we need to be really rigorous ourselves, and Myhill just doesn't have the best record here. IMO her involvement with PACE campaigning is more likely to be useful for the PACE researchers than patients.