1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

stiff muscle cells

Discussion in 'Immunological' started by lansbergen, Feb 27, 2019.

1. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who thinks it does not take more effort to contract muscles with stiff musclecells than with normal cells?

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I don't understand what you mean by stiff muscle cells. Can you explain more?

Binkie4 and Wonko like this.
  3. lansbergen

\

I mean something like this: https://www.news-medical.net/life-sciences/What-is-the-Actin-Cytoskeleton.aspx

The actin cytoskeleton is a dynamic network made up of actin polymers and associated actin binding proteins. The actin cytoskeleton was originally isolated as a component of the actomyosin complex in muscle cells and was later identified as a component of all eukaryotic cells.

https://www.encyclo.nl/begrip/Motoreiwit
    Een motoreiwit is een eiwit dat ATP gebruikt om zich over een filament van het cytoskelet van een cel te bewegen. Ze zijn onder meer belangrijk in het transport van vesikels en organellen, het samentrekken van de spieren, het scheiden van de chromosomen tijdens de mitose en het bewegen van cilia.

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks @lansbergen. I had a look. The article is describing part of the structure of muscle cells but doesn't seem to say anything specific about stiffness.
    Are you asking if our muscle cells act differently when our muscles feel 'stiff'? Or is there a particular biological phenomenon called stiff muscle cells?

5. lansbergen

\

Just thinking loud.

I came along hydrogenperoxide as a innate immune response. A very very long time ago I used hydrogen peroxide as a wound desinfectant so I know how it can bite. Plus it can destroy the agent I suspect and the immunesystem makes it in response to the infection I suspect.

Then I saw it plays a rule in the cytoskeleton.

Then I wondered if it could be involved in the easy fatigueable.

If the cytoskeleton is not working correct the muscles will have problems doing their job. I think it would at least take more effort to contract.

It are just bits and pieces now but it could explain why levamisole still helps me improve.