1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Stellate ganglion block reduces symptoms of Long COVID: A case series (2021) Liu et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Milo, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Highlights

Long COVID symptoms include fatigue, brain fog, anosmia, dysgeusia, orthostatic intolerance

Long COVId symptoms overlap with those of chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) and POTS.

Reduced cerebral blood flow is a feature of dysautonomia in ME/CFS and POTS.

Stellate ganglion block increases cerebral blood flow and alleviates Long COVID symptoms.

The interaction between nervous and immune systems is involved in Long COVID.

Abstract
    After recovering from COVID-19, a significant proportion of symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals develop Long COVID.

Fatigue, orthostatic intolerance, brain fog, anosmia, and ageusia/dysgeusia in Long COVID resemble “sickness behavior,” the autonomic nervous system response to pro-inflammatory cytokines (Dantzer et al., 2008).

Aberrant network adaptation to sympathetic/parasympathetic imbalance is expected to produce long-standing dysautonomia.

Cervical sympathetic chain activity can be blocked with local anesthetic, allowing the regional autonomic nervous system to “reboot.”

In this case series, we successfully treated two Long COVID patients using stellate ganglion block, implicating dysautonomia in the pathophysiology of Long COVID and suggesting a novel treatment

link to article here

sebaaa, Hutan, hibiscuswahine and 6 others like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could anesthesia during neck surgery have this effect as well?

3. 5vforest

5vforest Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had one recently. Didn’t do anything. Seems like a big fad tbqh

Hutan, obeat, hibiscuswahine and 4 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

There are a couple of things just in the introduction of the paper that could be warning signs that this idea isn't very solid:

1. taking Bruce Patterson's reports at face value

2. Decreased pupil size is called 'miosis'. Meiosis of course is what cells do during sexual reproduction and so is very unlikely to be a sign of Horner's Syndrome.

Of course, neither small issues mean that the treatment doesn't work. It does make me want to look into the background of the authors though...

Luke Liu - 'Neuroversion Inc., Anchorage, AK, USA' This seems to be the only paper he has ever published.
    I have to say that increases my doubts - no academic affiliation or relevant track record, just a company based in Alaska.

Deborah Duricka - 'Neuroversion Inc., Anchorage, AK, USA'
    Yeah, that's looking even more worrying, both authors affiliated to the same Alaskan company.

And yep, the company offers the treatment:
    https://www.neuroversion.com
    Luke Liu is the owner and Chief Medical Officer of Neuroversion.
    Deborah Duricka is the Patient Care & Clinical Research Coordinator of Neuroversion

It has all the markers of a scam/'alternative medicine'. Might not be, but I'm not booking a flight to Alaska at this point.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  5. Hutan

If only that were true.

It seems I don't need to travel to Alaska, you can get this treatment anywhere
    Stella Centres across Australia offer the treatment for PTSD
    "The Einstein of modern anesthesiology". wow

What's the bet the evidence base for SGB treatment is studies of open label treatment with subjective outcomes?

Trish, Lilas, JemPD and 2 others like this.
  6. Hutan

Trish, JemPD and Wonko like this.
  7. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Once I saw a website where the doc with his dubious therapy was said to have been nominated for the Nobel Prize for his work and it even gave a specific year when this happened.

Fun fact: the names of the Nobel Prize nominees are sealed for 50 years, so no one knows who was really nominated. Anyone can walk around claiming to be a nominee, even you or me and no one can disprove it.

Forbin, NelliePledge, Mij and 7 others like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved from the long covid in the media thread

Says nothing about a study, trial, or any evidence. Not sure if they really are going to just offer this treatment without any evidence, but it sure looks like it.

Stella and RTHM Partner to Treat Long COVID
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/stella-and-rthm-partner-to-treat-long-covid-301561432.html

Stella ( www.stellacenter.com ), the leader in Stellate Ganglion Block (SGB) treatment for emotional trauma and mental health management, and RTHM ( www.rthm.com ), a Long COVID clinic with expert clinicians, a research arm, and a patented treatment and diagnosis algorithm, have partnered to provide RTHM's Long COVID patients with access to Stella's Stellate Ganglion Block (SGB) treatment.​

Or that's the evidence they're citing anyway, a case study:

SGB has been shown to help return the sympathetic nervous system to a healthier state after a biological trigger alters its function. Recently, Stella partners published a case study in the Journal of Neuroimmunology that showed how SGB treatment reduced symptoms of Long COVID.​

Yup, they're straight up offering it:

The SGB treatment offers promising results and will be administered by a board-certified anesthesiologist trained by Stella at locations convenient to patients. "Stella's SGB is one of the options within our individualized treatment plans, but it's an important one," says RTHM's co-founder, Dr. Jennifer Curtin. "The collaboration between RTHM and Stella provides our patients with a unique and potentially helpful treatment."​

About the company:

Long COVID affects up to 30% of those who have contracted COVID-19. Yet few clinicians have the background in post-viral disease or can access all the tools required to treat these challenging conditions. RTHM is unpacking the knowledge gained from other, often post-viral diseases like ME/CFS and leveraging that wisdom for those suffering with Long COVID. "Where others see Long COVID as 'uncharted waters'," Dr. Curtin says, "we already have a partial map from navigating other post-viral diseases."
    MORE ABOUT STELLA: Stella's team of medical doctors, psychologists, patient care coordinators, and tireless advocates are on a mission to create a world where no person needlessly suffers from symptoms following trauma. Stella offers effective, peer-reviewed, breakthrough trauma and PTSD treatments. Stella innovates like lives depend on it – because they do. www.stellacenter.com

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2022
    Sean, Arnie Pye, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure how you return something to a healthier state by stopping it working with a block?

FMMM1, alktipping, Mithriel and 7 others like this.
  10. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The qualifications to be a nominator for the Nobel Peace Prize include:
    • University professors, professors emeriti and associate professors of history, social sciences, law, philosophy, theology, and religion; university rectors and university directors (or their equivalents); directors of peace research institutes and foreign policy institutes.
    So, if you happen to have a friend who's an associate history professor at a university, you can ask them to nominate you for the Nobel Peace Prize. Then you can more vaguely claim that you've been "nominated" for a "Nobel Prize." I once saw a news report on someone who had done this just for fun.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022