1. Guest, read the 'News in Brief' post for w/c 17th June by clicking this link.
    Dismiss Notice

Stated position on ME by Gabrielle Murphy

Discussion in 'Information for NICE guidelines' started by JohnTheJack, Jan 10, 2019.

1. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

2. daftasabrush

daftasabrush Established Member (Voting Rights)

Given that's she's chair of the BACME and running the London Fatigue Clinic, she's also basically got 2 stakeholders to feed back as too - so her views are also in the 10 year surveillance report and other stakeholder consultations

According to her Esther Crawley's FITNET-NHS has something to do with ME & CFS. Despite using the Oxford criteria. Alarmingly Esther's still recruiting kids for GET.

3. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

More on 'Psyhoneuroimmunology' can be found on pages 167 - 172 of this book https://cdchester.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/SUSANA1.pdf
    The Cambridge Handbook of Psychology Health & Medicine.

the book has a chapter on CFS & is discussed in this thread https://www.s4me.info/threads/cambr...-chapter-on-cfs-from-chalder-and-cairns.7582/

I'd be most interested to get your take on the chapter on PNI @Jonathan Edwards , if & when you have time, or indeed any of our other immunology literate members... I wonder how accurate it is, how reliable the studies quoted are etc.

4. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

GM was at our table for the Scope meeting and said that she was no longer chair. I think that she stopped/resigned whatever after their March conference.

5. MEMarge

The minutes of the General Meeting on 15.3.18 still have her as Chair. (thanks to @Sly Saint for downloading these). I have seen a name that I did not recognise referred to as the new Chair subsequently. When I find it I'll post it!

6. daftasabrush

Gabrielle Murphy wrote the ME Awareness post on May as Chair. If she has quit then I'd say it's purely for the NICE guidelines and does nothing to convince me that she is any less connected than before.

Esther Crawley was chair when appointed to the last guidelines panel.

ScottTriGuy likes this.
  7. daftasabrush

@Sly Saint can you confirm Mike Beadsworth is on the Executive of the BACME too?
    I'm sure I saw that recently. I know he was at the AGM.

I don't know what other BACME roles he holds but I noticed they have a Liverpool & Mersey group, and he was "local host" at the Changing Times conference in Liverpool.

ScottTriGuy and MSEsperanza like this.
  8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He was but I have been unable to find out who exactly are on the current executive (since their last agm).

It said in the minutes "The executive officers are proposing a change to the structure of the BACME Executive. Currently there are up to 26 members of the executive."

They seem to be a very secretive bunch.

9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is drivel. There is no need to implicate 'psychological' causation in any major immune response, whether beneficial or deleterious. There may be slight shifts of this and that but this chapter is full of complete bullshit about Th1 and Th2 responses. The authors are perhaps not aware that this sort of paradigm faded out twenty years ago and never had any evidence base anyway.

This is pseudoscience. The sad thing is that so much that passes for received wisdom these days is this rubbish.

I could not here clearly what Murphy was saying on the video on the other thread. I gave up when she started taking nonsense about Descartes. I have recently published a chapter on Descartes's contribution to our understanding of the place of mind in physics. It is a pity that the BPS people do not take the trouble to find out the most basic of things they waffle about.

Lucibee, obeat, ScottTriGuy and 12 others like this.
  10. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @Jonathan Edwards, I thought as much but as a layman it's hard to sort the wheat from the chaff! or from the 'complete bullshit' :D

EzzieD, MEMarge and MSEsperanza like this.
  11. daftasabrush

@Sly Saint A certain "JB" stepped down as vice chair. Mike Beadsworth was at the meeting and took an active part in it.

Sly Saint and MEMarge like this.
  12. Sly Saint

13. MEMarge

The name I have noted as new BACME chair is Libuse Ratcliffe. I am not sure where I found this info, nor anything about her...

Sly Saint likes this.
  14. Sly Saint

Snowdrop likes this.