1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Spirometry test results - what do they mean ?

Discussion in 'Cardiovascular and exercise physiology (CPET)' started by Dechi, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i haven’t talked to my doc yet and don’t know what these results mean.

Should I look at the column “ REF” or “PRE” ? If REF all is normal, and if PRE, lots of anomalies I suppose ?

Anyone can help ?

[​IMG]

Binkie4 likes this.
  2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We didn't get a copy of my daughter's. Noted as " inconclusive" as the amount of breath eas not consistent enough ( is this not oart of the reason to do this?).
    Nurse also did not believe that she was trying her hardest- she simply could not exhale over a long timeframe - ran out of puff.
    No follow up - she' s becoming a conundrum.
    I'll try and get a copy of the results for comparison

Dechi likes this.
  3. Dechi

How frustrating and sickening ! At one point the technician had me start over because I wasn’t blowing hard enough.

I tried to look online but I’m not medically educated enough to be sure. From what I understand, I think I have CPOD, either mild or moderate.

Binkie4 likes this.
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope that you get something positive out of this, and treatment if required.

Binkie4, healthforall and Dechi like this.
  5. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would have to check my documents, but I slightly remember that the FEV value was important. I think it was slightly decreased, and there was another test, and I was told I have asthma (or more accurate: hyper-reactive bronchial system, a pre-level of asthma). At that time I really had trouble getting air. I get cortisone spray and it helps.

Why do you think you have COPD?

Dechi and Binkie4 like this.
  6. Dechi

I have chronic asthma, and also too much carbon dioxide upon exertion, so I suppose that’s why.

Trish and Inara like this.