1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 10th May 2021 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Speech to 'ME Research & Practice' Conference 2014 Gabrielle Murphy

Discussion in 'PsychoSocial ME/CFS News' started by NelliePledge, Jan 9, 2019.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Moderator note: new thread moved from Persistent fatigue induced by interferon-alpha: A novel, inflammation-based, proxy model of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2018, Pariante et al

Looking at AFME YouTube content I came across this talk in 2014 in Sussex from Gabrielle Murphy. It’s sound only no slides but she seems to be going on on the same lines as Pariente. Probably many will already be aware - it’s linked to from her ME Pedia page. Just thought it would be useful context here but happy for mods to delete if too far off thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2019
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In case anyone watching it missed it, halfway through, before going into the explanation of 'how it all works' (leading to chronic fatigue) her preferred model is 'psychoneuroimmunology', she says
    "What we believe in the psychoneuroimmunological model is............"

3. seanpaul

seanpaul Established Member

no mention of her involvement in the PACE Trial - amazing

4. Sly Saint

I have now done a transcript of this talk.

I picked up on a number of things:
    1) the 3 charities who requested/organised the talk were AfME AYME and the Sussex ME Society.
    (Hence references to Sonia, Mary-Jane and Colin).
    2) as @NelliePledge says in the op, this is along similar lines to Pariante, in fact at the end of the talk she briefly mentions the interferon alpha study, and the Brain Pain one.
    3) according to GM psychoneuroimmunology, takes the 'best from the BPS' model; so inspite of all the impressive sounding blurb about science, the BPS model still underpins their approach.
    4) as per usual 'it's all about fatigue'......not even necessarily the chronic variety. And she thinks we should just call it Post Viral fatigue and be done with it.

It never ceases to amaze me how these so-called UK ME/CFS 'experts' (who have been seeing patients on a regular basis for some time) really don't seem to have any real understanding of the illness.

Attached Files:

Snowdrop, ladycatlover, Sean and 9 others like this.
  5. large donner

large donner Guest

In a model? Oh dear.

We believe in a model, not scientific then is it. We got this model and we are desperately waiting to find the patients to fit it.

We have no proof so we in this religion are stuck in the belief of our model stage. To back up our belief we will now go away and write our scriptures.

Not that we hear much of them now but this is exactly what Horig and Lipkin where doing. It was extremely frustrating when people couldn't see through their voodo and saw them as Messiahs too.

obeat, Sean, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Many thanks for doing that.

As an immunologist I fear I have to conclude this is drivel. (Maybe nobody is surprised.)

7. NelliePledge

No but it’s good to have it confirmed

ladycatlover, Sean and MEMarge like this.
  8. NelliePledge

Would this then be a good question for the likes of Pariante- do you subscribe to the psychoneuroimmunological model of ME

ladycatlover and MEMarge like this.
  9. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To be fair, when scientists say "I believe X" they usually mean it in the sense of "based on all the evidence that has been accumulated, X seems to be the most probable explanation". This is a very different usage than faith based belief.

I'm not trying to support the psychoneuroimmunological model, just saying that trying to make something of the words "we believe" probably isn't helpful.

Forbin, JaneL, ladycatlover and 2 others like this.
  10. Sly Saint

I think it's safe to say that he does:
    "
    Prof Carmine Pariante receives PNIRS Norman Cousins Award
    Posted on 14/09/2016
    [​IMG]
    Professor Carmine Pariante has received the prestigious Psychoneuroimmunology Research Society (PNIRS) Norman Cousins Award, the highest honour given by the Society to an individual, for outstanding contributions to research in psychoneuroimmunology. The PNIRS is an international organisation working to understand the role of the brain and immune system in health, and how basic research at the interface between the brain and the immune system can be translated into clinically relevant health applications."
    https://www.kcl.ac.uk/ioppn/news/re...ante-receives-pnirs-norman-cousins-award.aspx

NelliePledge, JaneL, ukxmrv and 2 others like this.