1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Solve ME/CFS Initiative: The Advances in ME/CFS Research Webinar Series

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From an email from them.

Our “Advances in ME/CFS Research and Clinical Care” Webinar Series features presentations by researchers who contributed articles to a special ME/CFS issue of the journal Frontiers in Pediatrics.

Published over 2018 – 2019, the issue includes 24 peer-reviewed articles that cover historical barriers to progress in ME/CFS research, new approaches to examine epidemiological features of the disease, current best practices and challenges in clinical care, and a sampling of ongoing lab research. The issue is demonstrative of the incredible progress made in scientific understanding of this devastating disease, despite institutional barriers and obstacles to research, and the opportunities we have to advance research and clinical care for people living with ME/CFS.

Genetic Predisposition for Immune System, Hormone, and Metabolic Dysfunction in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Pilot Study

Presented by Dr. Travis J.A. Craddock, Ph.D.
    Tuesday, October 29, 2019 10 am PT/ 1 pm ET

Register for the webinar here: http://go.solvecfs.org/e/192652/reg...h=ukp4WlfXXFZliMr_itzqwg5u0IULsrIjjPU6xvucaDU

Join Dr. Travis J.A. Craddock (Nova Southeastern University) for a discussion of an analysis of 23andME genetic data from 383 people with ME/CFS published in the special issue of Advances in ME/CFS Research and Clinical Care. Click here to read the article.

Dr. Craddock and a group of researchers used a network analysis approach to look for patterns of harmful genes and single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) within those genes that might play a role in the development and progression of ME/CFS. The pilot study found commonalities in the genetic makeup of participants related to immune, endocrine, metabolic, and cellular interface functions; some of the identified SNPs are among the most harmful variants known in humans. Tune in to hear more about the findings and how future studies might build on this work.

Travis J.A. Craddock, Ph.D. is an Associate Professor in the Departments of Psychology & Neuroscience, Computer Science and Clinical Immunology at Nova Southeastern University (NSU) in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He serves as the Director of the Clinical Systems Biology Group at NSU’s Institute for Neuro-Immune Medicine where he researches complex chronic illness involving neuroinflammation, including ME/CFS and Gulf War Illness. Dr. Craddock received his Ph.D. in the field of biophysics at the University of Alberta where his graduate research activities focused on subneural biomolecular information processing, and nanoscale neuroscience descriptions of memory, consciousness and cognitive dysfunction in neurodegenerative disorders.

ME/CFS in the Era of the Human Microbiome: Persistent Pathogens Drive Chronic Symptoms by Interfering with Host Metabolism, Gene Expression, and Immunity

Presented by Amy Proal, Ph.D.
    Thursday, November 14, 2019, 10 am PT/1 pm ET

Register for the webinar here: http://go.solvecfs.org/e/192652/reg...h=ukp4WlfXXFZliMr_itzqwg5u0IULsrIjjPU6xvucaDU

Join Dr. Amy Proal (Autoimmunity Research Foundation) for a discussion of her article outlining evidence that ME/CFS is driven by complex pathogen-host interactions published in the special issue Advances in ME/CFS Research and Clinical Care. Click here to read the article.

The neurological illness ME/CFS has been repeatedly tied to infection with persistent pathogens such as enteroviruses, Epstein Barr Virus and other herpesviruses - and there have been outbreaks of the condition over the past decades. Dr. Proal will discuss how expanding research on the human microbiome now allows these and other ME/CFS-associated pathogens to be studied as interacting members of vast human microbial, viral and fungal ecosystems in tissue and blood. It will also explain key mechanisms by which pathogens in these communities - and the proteins/metabolites they create - can control human metabolism, gene expression and immunity in a manner that may contribute to ME/CFS symptoms (with symptoms varying based on a patient's unique infectious and environmental history).

Amy Proal, Ph.D. is a microbiologist who studies the molecular mechanisms by which bacterial, fungal and viral pathogens dysregulate human gene expression, immunity and metabolism. Her work further examines how dysbiosis of the human microbiome and/or the human virome can contribute to chronic inflammatory disease processes. As a member of the research team at Autoimmunity Research Foundation, Dr. Proal has authored papers and written book chapters for organizations like the J. Craig Venter Institute and The Autoimmunity Network, and lectured at the NIH and numerous USA/international conferences.

Estimating Prevalence, Demographics, and Costs of ME/CFS Using Large Scale Medical Claims Data and Machine Learning

Presented by Charmian Proskauer
    December 12, 2019, 10 am PT/1 pm ET

Join Charmian Proskauer (Massachusetts ME/CFS & FM Association) for a discussion of a large-scale analysis of insurance records that was published in the special issue Advances in ME/CFS Research and Clinical Care. Click here to read the article.

Using data mining and machine learning techniques on a database of medical claims, the study authors examined the prevalence, gender demographics, and costs for individuals with provider-assigned diagnosis codes for myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) or chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). Charmian and her co-authors estimate the prevalence of individuals diagnosed with ME or CFS as 0.5-1% (1.7-3.38 million in the United States) and an estimated prevalence of 0.86% (2.8 million in the United States) for ME, suggesting that ME/CFS is a prevalent disease. The presentation will cover the key findings, implications, and the limitations of their approach.

Charmian Proskauer is a Board member and past President of the Massachusetts ME/CFS & FM Association and has participated in many advocacy initiatives at both the state and federal levels as part of the organization. She is also the Chair of the US Action Working Group, a group of American organizations and activists involved in advocacy. Charmian previously worked in the fields of cell biology and neuroanatomy.

Michelle, ahimsa, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Michelle, alktipping, rvallee and 2 others like this.
  3. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

4. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sterile inflammation is of the table then.

5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exercise Physiology & Research
    NSU Institute for Neuro-Immune Medicine
    The role Exercise Physiology plays in conducting research studies related to Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, ME/CFS, and Gulf War illness, GWI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQyfa85LNJ4

MEMarge and Andy like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

rvallee and MEMarge like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

rvallee likes this.
  8. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)