1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Solve Me/CFS Initiative: Discovery Forum 2017: An Interview with Dr. Nancy Klimas

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw6ESBGDi5c

ahimsa, Skycloud, Sly Saint and 17 others like this.
  2. Rick Sanchez

Rick Sanchez Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    EzzieD, Melanie, Aroa and 3 others like this.
  3. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Klimas always presents an optimistic outlook which is good.
    I am never quite clear exactly what she is doing though!

She mentions having a large department, large research funding and great facilities etc. But I am never sure how much of that relates to ME/CFS.

Anyway I am very glad she is involved.

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Lots of Gulf War stuff, but some ME stuff as well - https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Nancy_Klimas

5. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very interesting, well worth a listen.

Trish, Melanie and Louie41 like this.
  6. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

At about 8:40, Dr. Klimas say, "In the ME/CFS world, we have the models. We know what to do. We're ready for human clinical trials."

Later she says their phase one Gulf War study will be their "proving ground" and will be done in about a year.

She also says, "So, I'm hoping to be in a chronic fatigue homeostatic reboot trial by early next year." Since this was filmed in 2017, that might mean early 2018, unless she means early the next year after the Gulf War Illness trial in 2018 - in which case it would be 2019.

ETA: I just realized that it's not clear whether she is talking about a "chronic fatigue homeostatic reboot trial" in humans, or in animals "next year" (then again, would you hire clinical coordinators for animals?)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  7. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What meds is she using???

Louie41 and Melanie like this.
  8. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Definitely humans, and she has the funding available for it. It sounds as if she will go ahead with an ME/CFS trial if the GWI trial results are good.

ukxmrv, Louie41, Forbin and 3 others like this.
  9. Forbin

Yeah - It's hard to exactly say, but it sounds like if they get positive results from the GWI trial, then they won't feel the need to develop an animal model for ME/CFS and will rely entirely on the simulations from the In Silico computer system. My impression is that developing the animal model for GWI was probably a lengthy and expensive process, so skipping that step may be what she means by saying that she feels that the "the training wheels will be off" if the initial results from the GWI trial are good.

Louie41, Inara, Indigophoton and 2 others like this.
  10. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She says that they have hired coordinator for CFS trial and it will start early next year as in 2018. I don't think we are waiting on results from Gulf War Illness trial, at least that is my impression. Maybe it's a small scale pilot cfs trial but I believe it to be 2018. I think we can second guess who is funding it.

Louie41 likes this.
  11. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry, can't follow, could you explain?

Louie41 likes this.
  12. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Sunshine3 Please see question in #11, above. Thanks!

13. Forbin

Sort of a recurring theme of Dr. Nahle's interview is that the Solve ME/CFS Initiative is funding some research. He points out that Nancy Klimas' first ME/CFS grant came from The CFIDS Association of America (CAA), the precursor to SMCI. Later he mentions that SMCI has taken a decision to "invest in clinical trials," and finally he mentions that SMCI has just announced a grant for a study involving methylation at Nova Southeastern, Dr. Klimas' university.

Around 15:45, Dr. Klimas talks about international funding in the context of a "think tank" meeting she attended with representatives of "Japanese pharma" who showed considerable interest in the work she was doing.

So, those could be two different sources of funding, I suppose.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Indigophoton, Andy and Skycloud like this.